Fixed blind and longtail

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Fixed blind and longtail

Postby goose_boy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:45 pm

Anyone figured out a way to have a fixed blind and still use a longtail? I'd like to be able to swing the tail in the boat for trailering still. I'm thinking about welding up a frame of conduit and making it so the back sections can swing around 180 degrees, against the outside of the blind, to give me room to both drive the motor and swing it around... btw on a 16' flatbottom. Oh and has anyone used cordura over a conduit frame to skin their blind? An idea to block wind and keep cost/weight down.
goose_boy
hunter

Postby jmatura » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:06 am

We have fixed blinds on our boats and can run mud motors without moving any thing on the blind to swing the motor in. But we don't have the blind going all the way to the back end of the boat. Just swing the motor in above the blind. For us it's also easier as our blinds are short as possible. Having the back 2-3' open makes a good area for dog/s to sit and for us getting in and out of the boat.

Have you thought of using corrugated plastic or 1/4 plywood for the sides of your blind? We used the plastic this year for our lids that flip and worked out very well.

jeff matura
www.takeem.com
jmatura
DHC Sponsor

Postby goose_boy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:36 am

Good ideas jmatura.... thought I'd leave the back couple feet open, but didn't know if it'd clear. How high are your blind sides? Did some looking and measuring the other day and figured I'd need about a 25" high blind, pretty low profile in my book (deep sides). The corrugated plastic is a great idea btw, any ideas where to find a supplier?
goose_boy
hunter

Re: Fixed blind and longtail

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:48 am

goose_boy wrote:Anyone figured out a way to have a fixed blind and still use a longtail? I'd like to be able to swing the tail in the boat for trailering still. I'm thinking about welding up a frame of conduit and making it so the back sections can swing around 180 degrees, against the outside of the blind, to give me room to both drive the motor and swing it around... btw on a 16' flatbottom. Oh and has anyone used cordura over a conduit frame to skin their blind? An idea to block wind and keep cost/weight down.
WE use cordura for all kinds of UV sensitive things. It works great. It would be a great wind blocker too. Mark on the Great Salt Lake
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby jmatura » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:57 am

To get the plastic just find the nearest sign place. It's what they use for pepsi and election signs.... You might try a home depot or similiar.

On the blind sides it will vary from boat to boat but ours is close to the 25" you mentioned above.

jeff matura
www.takeem.com
jmatura
DHC Sponsor

Postby goose_boy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Hey Jeff, do you have any pics you could post or send me that should how you made your blind? I've made fixed blinds that I didn't really like, I've made about 4 different collapsable blinds (2 were so so, 2 were great), and I'm just brainstorming and trying to decide what to do and how I want to do it. Do you have a flip top on yours? Added one of those on to my fold up blind last year, and really liked the head cover it gave us but it was just a little bit of a PITA, so I'd like to see your ideas for that too. TIA
goose_boy
hunter

hey

Postby bochmann » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:43 pm

hey i built my blind out of conduit and my motor works just fine when swinging it in the boat. i bent the conduit at a 90 degree angle and connected it straight to the boat in the back and in the front.just before you fully connect it make shure your motor will swing. mine makes it by about an inch. hope it helps
bochmann
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds