Aquapod camo/color choice question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Aquapod camo/color choice question

Postby dloop » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:14 pm

I have Monday (MLK holiday) off so I'm going to drive to Ridgefield to the Attbar store to place an order for a new aquapod. I'm lucky to have them within a couple hours drive. I'm going there to make a final decision on size (10' or 12') but I also have a question about color.

I was leaning toward getting the shadow grass camo pattern as I will be hunting areas where this will be helpful.

But for the times I'm hunting divers in open water--layout style-- will the shadow grass pattern be a disadvantage when compared to the plain slate open water color?

dave
dloop
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:45 pm

I bought a used 12' Pod a couple of years ago that has the open water color. The guy I bought it from gave me the factory option Cordura cockpit cover and he also had a large camo die-cut (cerex) cover that drapes over the boat when I lay it in the weeds. it weighs almost nothing and takes up no space when folded. I like the fact that when my Pod is in the water it blends yet I can camo it easily when I set it in the low weeds.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:12 pm

I've owned both the gray color and currently the wetlands camo finish on my 8' pod.
For divers I find no diffrence in the camo color or the gray. I do find a difference when hunting puddlers as they spot the gray, out of place in the marsh as opposed to the camo finish.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby dloop » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks guys. I'll ask the Attbar folks too what they think. Tough decision.
dloop
hunter

Postby dloop » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:28 pm

I ended up ordering a 12' shadow grass. I'll post pics in a few weeks when I pick it up.
dloop
hunter

Postby djs523 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:29 pm

I'm guessing from your choice that Attbar convinced you to go with the camo pattern.

Since I'm struggling with the same choice, why did you go with the camo pattern>
djs523
Newb

Postby dloop » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:08 pm

Unfortunately Attbar didn't really solve this for me. I did ask them and they were very helpful, but they basically said I could go either way. I'm still questioning my decision.

They said that folks that plan to use their pod mostly on the open water go with the Maduro color, and those using theirs mostly in marshes and such go with a camo pattern.

I'm hoping the Shadowgrass pattern I settled on is not a detractor in the open water. I went with it 'glassed-in' mostly because I don't want to hassle with a camo cover. Just one less thing for me to forget when I go hunting :)

It was nice to be able to go to their shop and get into the boats. If you have a dog and are ok with the dog being in front of you then the 10' is a really sweet fit. So light and it just looks like the size an aqua was designed to be.

But I want my dog behind me. I'm 6'2" and when I layed out in the 10' there wasn't much room behind my head. So I went with the 12', but I'm going to see if I can get them to put the 10' blind doors
my boat; leaving a couple feet open beyond the doors for my pooch.

dave
dloop
hunter

Postby djs523 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:16 pm

Thanks for the response.

I plan to hunt 70% marsh 30% open water. So, I'm a little torn with the choices. I did read a post that a straight colored one can be grassed up in less than 10 minutes.

I am leaning towards the 12, dog and decoys take some space.
djs523
Newb

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds