longtail speed increase

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

longtail speed increase

Postby lagunaduck » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:26 pm

I have been using a Godevil 25hp longtail on a 16' Godevil boat and am loving it. However, I am getting tired of the long running times due to the slow speed of the rig. According to my GPS this last weekend, I was doing 12-13 mph in the deep shipping channel that I must run and then 14-16 mph in the shallows. Is there anyway to increase this speed? I had a new Godevil prop installed this last September. Are there any aftermarket brands that will help in performance? Or anything else that I can do?
lagunaduck
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:59 pm

Get a short tail.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 am

You can do some motor upgrades fairly easily.
--Hunters don't care about nature, but loony animal activists who've never been outside of San Francisco do??!!
--Hipocrisy: People against hunting, but who don't have a problem buying new condos built on previous wetland habitat.
---RIP-Woody-1/26/2010--
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby redneck23ms » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:17 pm

how many rpms are you turning when running wide open? how big of a load are you hauling? you should be able to go a lil faster than that. i run a 25hp go-devil on a 16x44 rivited skiff. my boat is fairly light but i can run 20-21 empty all day long and 17-18 with 2 guys and gear. i'm turning 3950 or so rpms at full throttle
shoot them in the face, they may be wearing body armor
redneck23ms
hunter

Postby lagunaduck » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Wow. That would be nice. I do not have a very heavy load at all. In fact, I have really cut down on my gear to lighten things up a bit. It is usually me, my dog, 2 dozen deeks, gun & basics. I had the insulation removed from under the decking this last summer. That helped a little. I was told that it was water logged and really weighting the boat down. The left over pieces that I observed were in fact filled with water. Any other ideas? What engine upgrades do you have in mind? Are there any different brand propellers that could make a difference? Thanks.
lagunaduck
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:35 pm

At full throttle does the prop stay right below the surface of the water? If not you may want to mess with your cav plate to get optimal performance. Mine tends to jump up out of the water at full throttle, i need to tweak the cav plate. I have been told that it will help out as far as speeds also. Good luck.

BTW
I did not think about the flotation under the floor being "water logged". I will have to look at mine now!

:smile:
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby amaxhunter » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:26 pm

Is you're Go-Devil boat a surface drive hull, or Round chine hull.
Round chine hulls are slower, plus the Go-Devil boat is Heavy in compairsion to most aluminum hulls
amaxhunter
Newb

Postby lagunaduck » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:27 pm

The hull is a round chine hull and the cavitation plate is running just under the water. I haved bent is upwards a little to aid in this. However, I have to run in a ship channel for a couple of miles and have noticed that current seems to effect this. When the tide is moving in deeper water, I often have to force the prop back down into the water. This can be quite tiring after a full morning of setting deeks and slopping through the mud. If there is no current, then I could steer with fingers or a relaxed grip if I would like. Does anybody else have any experience running their long tail in current? I always wear my lanyard as I have experienced the death spin at slow speed shortly after obtaining my boat (and NOT wearing my lanyard). There is no tack on the engine, so I have no idea what the rpms are. I usually run at full throttle and have to admitt that the pitch of the engine at full throttle certainly doesn't scream. I always feel that the engine sounds like it is capable of running at a little higher rpm. I had the engine tuned up in september by whom I felt like is a very reputable mechanic. His boat shop deals exclusively in mud boats and he seems to have a very strong knowledge of them. Any more ideas. Does anybody have any experience with different brands of propellers? Thanks again.
lagunaduck
hunter

Postby amaxhunter » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 pm

Is you're Go-Devil Boat A 16' x 44" or 16' x 56 ?
amaxhunter
Newb

Postby badbowtie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:45 am

In my opinion i would invest in a tach, they arent expensive and easy to install. Then you WILL KNOW your RPMs. Just my .02
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby lagunaduck » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:20 pm

My Godevil is a 16' x 56 and the engine is a 25 hp kohler. Where would I shop for a tach for this engine? Would an automotive tach work or are there tachs design just for a smaller engine such as this? If the engine is not turning out the rpms what can be done?
lagunaduck
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:30 pm

You can find they almost anywhere. Always check ebay. search for Tiny Tach.

http://mudbuddy.com/Duck%20Boat%20Accessories.htm

http://www.godevil.com/Engine_Options.html

Easy to install.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby lagunaduck » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:05 pm

Thanks for the input. I will definitely check into this. If I discover that the engine is not revving high enough, are there adjustments that can be done?
lagunaduck
hunter

Postby amaxhunter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 pm

The 16' x 56" Round Chine Go-Devil Boat is not made for speed, There are two prop options for the 25 hp motor (9 x 6) & (9 x 7). Approx 2 to3 years back Go-Devil added more cup to there props. What I am getting at is this, if the motor is approx 3 years old when the prop was replaced and it was replaced with the same pitch it came with it could be wrong. You should be running the (9 x 6) prop on the 16' x 56" boat. Just courious, is the bottom of you're boat still flat or does it have a rippled or wavy look to it, either instance can slow you down. The Tach is very Important , Its guesing what to do not knowing what the engine RPM's are.
amaxhunter
Newb

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds