Jon Boat Question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Jon Boat Question

Postby DJH1 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:49 am

I know that its possible to switch a tiller steered outboard to remote steer, but can a boat dealer or mechanic install a console in a jon boat?? I've got a 16' jon with a 40 hp that I wouldn't mind having a console in. Since I found a new duck boat I'm mainly just gonna use the boat I have for fishing and boat riding in the summer, and I like the idea of having a boat just for fishing.

I'm sure I've seen jon boats with steering wheels added just wondering how hard it would be and how much it would cost. Also, if anybody's got pics of a boat that has had this done, I sure would love to see 'em.

Thanks
DJH1
hunter

Postby fowlaholic » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:04 am

you can get the main steering linkage from bass pro and the wheel. you could make your own console out of marine grade plywood prime it to seal it off then carpet it. would cost you less in ther long run
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby DJH1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. Only problem is I have no experience working with outboards or boats. Anybody else?
DJH1
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:07 pm

I don't know if ALL dealers would offer the service, but I've known plenty of guys that offer custom work like that. I haven't installed controlls onto motors, but they seem easy to find, and if You're not inclined I bet you could have a shop install the controls - the rest of the work falls primarily under the category of carpentry and light metal work (i.e. screwing and bolting) after that.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Been there, done that!

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:53 pm

Yes you can. I did it with a jon boat I use to won. Just go to the dealer that sells that kind of boat and he/she should be able to hood you up.

Good luck

pat
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Re: Been there, done that!

Postby DJH1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:40 pm

patrick.mcever wrote:Yes you can. I did it with a jon boat I use to won. Just go to the dealer that sells that kind of boat and he/she should be able to hood you up.

Good luck

pat

How did you like the boat after you changed it up. Just wondering what brand of boat, motor, and what type of layout it was. thanks
DJH1
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds