My boat blind

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

My boat blind

Postby jgh » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Will try and post pictures here. This blind I designed and built. I bought a whole roll of 1000 Denier Cordura Nylon and used that as the main material for the blind. The frame of the blind is built from 1" square steel tubing and 1/2" black iron pipe for the legs. I made some special mounting brackets with a section of the square tubing as the female end to accept the iron pipe used for the legs. The pipe just fits nicely inside the square tubing. I used Avery's RivNuts for anchoring the mounting brackets to my boat.

There are four legs, the two on the side we shoot out of are shorter than the back side. This was done to facilitate better visiblity as well as blocking the wind that when set up is either at your back or from you sides.

I sewed in 1/4" log chain at the bottom of all the material for the blind to hold it down and keep the wind from blowing it around. I also attached rope around the upper permeter of the blind to allow me to hook brush or grass mats on the blind to help "hide" it better. The lake I usually hunt, we use Oak brush to add dimension to the blind and we simply just poke one of the branches down underneath the rope and it holds fine.

I will get better pictures soon of this set up and will post them them. The blind sets up in a few seconds with two guys. One can do it, but it takes a little practice getting things lined up to drop in place by yourself. Best part about this blind, or one of the best I should say, is that there is NOTHING in your way when the blind is taken down. The boat looks like a normal boat, no "roll cage" look to this blind. Setting and picking up decoys is a breeze as you can manuever all around the boat with nothing in your way, no ducking, etc... At home, when the season is over, I simply lift the blind parts out of the boat and hang them in my garage. Each side rolls up around it's respective steel tube.

The dividers are made using the same principle, except that I used black iron pipe for the weight instead of the chain. I can completly close off the blind by simply rolling out each divider to it's maximum width. I can also create several "holes" for hunters by rolling them up to what ever width I choose. If a bad storm comes up, etc....we roll out the dividers and the blind then is COMPLETLY 100% water proof and wind proof!

Something that these pictures do now show is a change I made this past season. I now carry two sets of different length leg sets. One set is short and the one I use most often. The use of these legs puts the blind height right below my nose when sitting down in the boat. I can sit there with my head out and see what is going on. If a bad storm blows in or it's real nasty and or I have some tall hunters with me, I simply left the main frame tubes up (one guy in front, one in back) and slide in the new legs, then drop the blind back down on the legs, bammm...higher blind.

Guess that is it for now...hope the pictures post...if not I will try again to post them.

Better quality pictures showing the details will follow soon. I am going on a Photo Shoot using this boat and blind. Will have some in the marsh shots as well as hopefully some nice waterfowl pics to boot! Now that Season is closed, I at least can still SHOOT some pics.
jgh
hunter

Postby SlideStop » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Nice looking setup you made. Its hard to tell from the pictures , do you popup out of these spaced out opening on the top to shoot ?
SlideStop
hunter

blind

Postby jgh » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Yes, you stand up and shoot. With the short set of legs in, I am 5'8" tall and when sitting down, the blind's front edge is right below my nose. When I stand up to shoot, that same edge is roughly between my chest and belly button, very comfortable to shoot from.

With the high poles, same process, but it's about a foot taller, hard to be comfrotable to shoot with short guys.

The holes are adjustable and you simply stand up and shoot out of them. The next series of pictures will make alot more sense and show the layout of the inside better too. I have totally revised the inside to utilize space and it's very comfortable if you ask me. I carry between10 to 12 dz. decosy and have PLENTY of room WITHOUT putting out ONE decoy...
jgh
hunter

Postby Ned S » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Very, Very Nice. I like the kitchen best. Ned S the young 78 yr old.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Very nice setup...how much is one of those rolls of codura, if you don't mind me asking.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Ducowti » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Would you please post the resource for that blind material for the board?

Ducowti
hunter

My blind

Postby jgh » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:07 am

I bought the full roll of Cordura Nylon through a local Sporting goods store. They had to order it from Avery. Now, you can buy it directly from Avery. Probably could then too, but I was not aware of it. I noticed in some of the various waterfowl catalogs, Avery lists a 900 Polyester Ballistic fabric for $14.99 a yard. Its not the exact same stuff as I got, but might be better? Not sure, it's a little cheaper than what I paid for my Cordura Nylon, but this was bought in 1999...alot has changed since then. Speaking of the year it was built, which was 1999, it still looks like brand new. I think with proper care...this thing will last me a LONG, LONG time. The only thing I can think of that will wear out is the threads I used in sewing it up. I used a high grade thread when I did it and it's paying off. 100% satisfied with it.

If memory serves me correct, I paid around $650 for the entire roll of Cordura Nylon. It comes 5 foot wide and I think it was a 100' long roll. I still have around 25' of the original roll left after building my blind.

The material was very expensive, but man, let me tell you, it was well worth it. IT can blow as hard as it wants, rain, snow, sleet, etc...inside you feel absolutly NO wind and it doesn't leak a drop if you close it up. On the bitterest of cold days, I run two heaters and you can for sure don't need a coat on when they are running!

We are still planning a photo shoot out of this boat and blind for some close up action shots of birds in the decoys and in their natural enviroment. During that shoot, I will take several detailed pictures of the boat, blind, and the interior set up I now have which sure makes hunting with a crowd a pleasure. I can hunt 4 guys, with all their gear and have plenty of room in my boat with out having to take one decoy out of the boat, and I haul up to 12 dozen G&H Magnum Decoys. When I do place out all the decoys, the decoy areas fold up and get out of the way, opening up the entire floor of my boat. I am very pleased with this set up.

I hope in the next few weeks I will be able to get this photo shoot done. There are TONS of birds still around and I think it will be a blast to get out there and do this. I just enjoy being out and seeing them.
jgh
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds