I found a boat, can I Camoclad?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

I found a boat, can I Camoclad?

Postby hardtime » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:50 pm

Okay, I think I found a boat. My buddy is offering me an 18 ft Crestliner Fish Hawk . The link below shows a 16 ft and not as wide. The boat is IMMACULATE, its 3 yrs old but flawless and he wants to let me have it for $3500.
It has a 80hp Evinrude.

http://www.crestliner.com/

Here is my question.......

Can i put the REMOVABLE camoclad skin on it and will it hold in rough water with an 80hp?

How long can I leave it on the boat without affecting the finish?

This boat is way to pretty to paint and mess up.

Mods, this question was originally posted in the "Gear" section but I am trying to get responses before I give my pal an answer. PLEASE don't move till I can find out...Please :help:
"....and when you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a ****."

-General Franks
hardtime
hunter

Postby big_country » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Well I don't know about all that, but if you have to ever have to bust ice kiss that camoclad good bye. It will tear it all to pieces. If not just make sure to start at the back and work forward so the water goes over the seams and not against them. Just what I have noticed from fellow hunters rigs.
big_country
hunter

Postby hardtime » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:34 pm

Okay,

If camoclad may not be a good option, is there any way to conceal the boat without painting it?
I plan to put a frame and blind on top but does anyone camo the sides and back of the boat another way?

Is there a "drape" of camo material or other method to use?
"....and when you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a ****."

-General Franks
hardtime
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Man, I wouldn't take that duck hunting! Too nice
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MrCamoClad » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Hmmm - Nice boat !! - Unfortunately I have never used the removable version - I did my jon with the regular stuff and it works really well. It has held up for fairly well for 4 years. It does have a few rips in it but to be expected with the stuff you run into in a few inches of water.

You know - you may be able to get away with no camo depending on the type of blind you install on it ???

My MB Quick Flip hangs over and covers the whole boat.....Its a pretty pricey blind - but so far worth every penny. Once you figure out how to install it correctly and figure out its little nuances.......the blind is awesome.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:42 pm

I'd say scrap the whole idea for that boat and buy one that can be or is already camo'd. There are plenty of NICE rigs out there for $3500. What you're asking/planning is setting yourself up for dissapointment and more money wasted not to mention time. Either find a different boat or buy a BIG camo net, hunt from the bank and cover the boat once you beach it.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds