shooting hole size?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

shooting hole size?

Postby Jangle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I am in the process of designing a hard side boat blind. I am going to make both sides the same height but i dont know for sure how far wide the top oPening should be . What are you guys using?
Jangle
hunter

Re: shooting hole size?

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:45 pm

First tip, do not make front and back the same size. Your boat will look like a box and stand out like a sore thumb.

2.5 feet per shooter.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Re: shooting hole size?

Postby GooseHunter131 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 am

You can make your blind equal height on each side and be fine to hide. My last boat was a low/low and I could hide damn near anywhere. I wouldnt really reccomend building a perfectly square box for a blind, but maybe come straight up off the gunwales a foot or so then angle the blind inward towards the center of the boat evenly on both sides to obtain the desired size opening you want. If you have a way to bend the metal you make your frame out of and get a rounded blind, even better. The way you grass it will either make or break you. If you can veg it up to break up the edges and corners you will be fine. I'd say a good size opening would be 30" or less. If you have a 30" opening on the top, it will be plenty big to comfortably shoot out of. At the same token, you can have your grass go over the edge of the opening as much as you want and it will help get rid of the black hole look as well. I would also reccomend making spacers between your shooting holes to break it up. I just got done having a high/low blind built with about a 6" difference between the two sides. I did this to be ale to stay out of the weather if need be, and the main reason is to hide any movement inside the boat. It's set up to hunt 3 guys and does have lids and spacers on the top. If three guys are hunting, I take off all three lids. If it's just me, I only take off one lid and the top of the boat is covered up where there are no shooters. Once I get it grassed up, I will post up pics and you will be able to better understand what I'm talking about....it's pretty slick. Good luck on your build, post up pics! Huff
GooseHunter131
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds