16 ft gheenoe?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

16 ft gheenoe?

Postby t-ville » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:00 pm

was looking at go-devil and other aluminum mud boats but they're so dang expensive. i REALLY dont want to spend an arm and a leg right now(im 16, only work in the summer) so what would you guys think about a 16ft gheenoe w/a longshaft as a duck boat? theres a gheenoe dealer in town and im pretty sure they're much cheaper than aluminum boats.
t-ville
hunter

Postby t-ville » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:57 am

nobody has any input?
t-ville
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:36 pm

I have a 6.5 hp mudbuddy on an old highsider. It is pretty slow and does not turn very sharp. I extended the handle so i am in the middle of the boat and this helps get it on a plane. It is fine in the marsh but I would not take it in any big water.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby Blindhog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:45 pm

I have been told by a former owner of a longtail/gheenoe combo that that longtail just doesnt mix with gheenoes. It has something to do with steering like snipeshooter said. He mentioned the lack of keels on the gheenoe. Just my (his) 2 cents...
Even a blind hog finds an acorn now 'n' then...
Blindhog
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:20 pm

i used a gheenoe and a 9.9 evinrude when i was a kid on the indian river and other parts of the intercoastal near titusville and mims fl mainly bowfishing for skates. i dont see why it wouldnt make a great duck boat with a little camo. the water in the inter coastal and the st johns and other rivers down there dont get that kicked up unless there is a real big wind. i live in northern mi now and wish i still had a gheenoe for some of the tighter waters up here
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby goose_boy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:39 pm

Why not buy a normal jon boat? For most guys, a plain riveted jon boat is strong enough to withstand anything they will do to them in the marsh. What kind of terrain do you hunt in? Not sure where you're from, but around here in Iowa we don't see much for stumps and logs, mainly just cattail bogs and mud. We have used several boats with good results, a 14ft riveted jon (too small), a 14.5' custom built plywood/fiberglass "mud boat" (too heavy), and for this season, a 16' riveted jon. I have no doubts it will be plenty tough enough for us. Picked the boat and trailer up for $550, courtesy of an online ad. Everything was in pretty good shape for a used duck boat, a few dents here and there, but it even came with a new paint job. We will be overhauling it anyway to fit our needs (removing all bench seats, cabinets, floors etc), but if you are willing to look and do some work, you should have no problem finding something very suitable. Well, as long as you're not planning on jumping beaver dams and things like that. If you really think you need a welded boat, take a look at the tracker grizzlies, new or used. Haven't used one but I hear they are tough, and they seem to be rather affordable compared to the mud boats.
goose_boy
hunter

Postby t-ville » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm

down here we literally have stump FIELDS...some places your having to drive through hundreds of yards of the things to get back to your hole. the lakes that down have stumps have hydrilla and grass, so a mud motor is gonna be a necessity. i'd really like to find a used go-devil in the 16-18ft range but i havent found one in my price range. i really dont wanna spend any more than 4g, and the closest i've come to finding one is 5.
t-ville
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds