buying used go-devil

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

buying used go-devil

Postby cut_em_boys » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 pm

going to buy a used gd tomorrow. 20hp longshaft. Just wondering if y'all that run them could give me some tips on what to look for to make sure im not gettin shafted. the motor is a 2004. 130 hours. starter is messed up but it has a pull start and the guy says he is using it right now. so...advise anyone?
cut_em_boys
hunter

Postby goose_boy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:19 pm

How much money are you paying for this? 130 hours is quite a few really. If you have access to a compression checker, I would take it with and check compression on both sides. Look for 120ps+ or right around there. Ask him if he has lubed the bearings etc, and how often, he should have done it regularly, at least before season starts and probably several times a season if it has gotten that many hours in 2 years. Ask him how many times he has changed the oil and about general maintenance, such as if he has put stabil or fuel stabilizer in the gas before storage. Look at the engine wiring and fuel lines etc, check to see if they are weathered, cracked, splitting, etc. Take a good look at the prop, it should still have a good cup on it. You may also want to find out what the diameter of the prop that came on it was brand new, and measure the prop to see if it has worn down much, a prop for these isn't cheap! Kinda like buying a 1,000 dollar car and then having to put 600 dollars of tires on it right away. Look for rust and general wear. Like I said, 130 hours is quite a bit but these things can take it easily if they are well maintained, hell look at a lawnmower engine (which is basically what these are). A buddy's dad had a coast to coast lawnmower for 22 years, figure mowing the yard took 2 hours (conservative), 1 or 2 times a week for 8 months a year. Thats 2(hrs)x1.5(times/week)x32(weeks/yr)x22(yrs)= 2,112 hours. Never more than stabil and oil changes, and the thing was still running when he threw it away. Anyways, look it over good, you should be able to tell if it was taken care of or abused, just like a car.
goose_boy
hunter

Postby cut_em_boys » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:22 pm

$1000
cut_em_boys
hunter

Postby redneck23ms » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:49 am

if the motor runs good i'd say thats a good buy. measure the prop. if it has 1/2" of wear that could be a bargaining piece. also let the motor run for 10-15 mins and make sure the bushings aren't getting too hot. they should be warm to the touch but not enough for the paint to discolor. also make sure the u-joint is tight. other than that these motors are pretty trouble free.
shoot them in the face, they may be wearing body armor
redneck23ms
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:01 pm

I dont know if you want to use this as a comparison, but I just bought a 29 HP Mud buddy with 25 hrs on it for $2500. The oil still looks new.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby MBS » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:24 pm

The engines are commercial grade,rated for 1000's of hrs.If the frame,bearings,and prop is in good shape,it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.130hrs isn't much really.
MBS
Newb

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds