Longtail and Boat Width

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Longtail and Boat Width

Postby trigger123 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:38 pm

I have a longtail go-devil 25 hp and I am looking at buying a new boat. What width should I look for, I feel the wider the better for my needs as far as what I'll use it for. :salude:
trigger123
hunter

Postby amaxhunter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 pm

A long tail is not the fastest motor to run, butt dependablilty ranks way up there. I think a 16' x 48" would be a good choice for you're 25hp LT.
Do you Have any friends with boats you could try it out on?
amaxhunter
Newb

Re: Longtail and Boat Width

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:10 pm

trigger123 wrote:I have a longtail go-devil 25 hp and I am looking at buying a new boat. What width should I look for, I feel the wider the better for my needs as far as what I'll use it for. :salude:
Boat performance in water is very like bullet performance in air, the wider the boat the more push that is necessary to get the same velocity. This is just like larger diameter bullets take more push to give the same velocity. 48" is a good compromise between stable enough to move around in and narrow enough to be able to get some speed out of going to your hunting ground. There are several variables to hull shape, But you ought to get near 20 + knots out of it. Mark
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby jjtroutkiller » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 pm

If I were to buy another hull with that motor and did not hunt from the boat I would get something in the 1844 range, I ran a rig similar to what you are talking about but had the motor on a 1644 hull and with a load the guys running the 1844 got better performance.
jjtroutkiller
hunter

Postby Blindhog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Not to hijack, but I have a similar question (on a smaller scale.)

I have a 9 HP Go Devil on my 12 ft semi v hull. In replacing that boat, would I be better off with 14' length? Would anyone recommend jon over vhull, and also what width in either?

I hunt in calm, shallow waters.
Even a blind hog finds an acorn now 'n' then...
Blindhog
hunter

Postby Phil T » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:01 am

Blindhog, I just got a 9hp mud rig this season. I run a 1436 tracker topper w/ 500 lbs (me, son, dog & gear). I'm very impressed with this set-up, it runs around 12mph and will do it very shallow.
Phil T
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds