Finished up a new project-the Super Sled

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Finished up a new project-the Super Sled

Postby Pumpgunner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Hey guys, finished building this a while ago and thought I'd share. I've been thinking for a while about making a sled that was big enough to fill with decoys and tow behind a boat but small enough to drag across ice and snow. Being able to use it as a blind when you get out to your spot would be helpful too. What I came up with is kind of a hybrid between a coffin blind, pond box, ice sled, and mini jonboat-I'm calling it the super sled!

It's built with 1/4" underlayment, fiberglass, and epoxy, has an epoxy/graphite bottom for slickness and toughness, and weighs 45lbs according to my bathroom scale. 7 foot 3" long by 38" wide, inside coated with truck bed liner. It has 9" tall sides for being able to hunt in shallow water or flooded fields, and I'm thinking that if you throw a sheet of fast grass over it you should be able to make it disappear in very little cover.

It should be able to float a lot of weight, I'm working on a system for towing it with a longtail, hopefully this week I can get some photos of it in action!

Here it is loaded up with 2 dozen standard duck floaters, a dozen magnum divers, 4 Bigfoot goose floaters, a dozen goose shells, blind bag, decoy pole, and shotgun:

Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Re: Finished up a new project-the Super Sled

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:39 am

As always, I am impressed with your creative craftsmanship. Can you put a dollar figure on the material cost? Thank you for posting the idea.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby tod0987 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:42 am

That looks awesome! :thumbsup:

How does it float with you in it?

I've been tossing around that idea or build one of Missedagain's hyrbids. I would like to make a small tender for the ponds and small coves I hunt and use it to haul the decoys in tow.
tod0987
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Looks like a winner!

Reminds me of a miniature Zackbox.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks for the nice words guys! Mark-since I had the epoxy and glass on hand my cost was very low, about $25 for the wood and $20 for a can of graphite powder that will last for many more projects. I cut up a pair of old waders to make the padding for the backboard. If I started with no materials I think you could build it for around $125 or so. How is your new motor design coming along?
tod-haven't floated it yet, hopefully this week!
mudpack-thank you, I took some inspiration from Zack's pond box for this one. I would still love to build a ZT Wigeon some day.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby tazman7 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 am

This is awesome. I was just thinking of doing something like this.
Beretta A400 Xtreme Unico 28" Max4
tazman7
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 am

Saweet, sled and blind in one, pretty neat stuff!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:03 am

any pics of the build as you were doing it?
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds