In need of advice on a '93 70 HP Johnson

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

In need of advice on a '93 70 HP Johnson

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:32 pm

This motor has the VRO system on it and it makes me extremely nervous. I hunt a lake that a lot of people don't and my be the only boat on the water some mornings. I don't want it to go out and burn up my motor when I'm across the lake and it's 35 degrees out. I looked up how to bypass it and did. It actually runs better now with mixed fuel than it did before. The only problem is that when I want to start it I have to mess with the red dial on the starboard side of the motor. I'm eventually wanting to put a surface drive on it and just need about 1 more year out of it. What are your thoughts on this.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Re: In need of advice on a '93 70 HP Johnson

Postby Boatman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 pm

That's your choke system. When you push in the key it should make a faint click. The point should point to the opposite end for push key to start. For manual choking you turn the red knob sideways to choke if it don't work from key. To test it have someone hold in the key in the on position and pull off one of the sm hoses at the carb and pump the bulb it should squirt gas out.
In case you don't know you hold in on key,after you pump the bulb, while cranking till it starts.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:54 am

Gotcha! I know that pushing in the key should choke it. If it's not activating the choke then what could it be the problem?
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:45 pm

I think you made the right choice by bypassing the VRO. I haven't heard too many people that have good things to say about them. My 1978 70 HP Johnson puffs a single blue cloud on a cold start and runs very clean at 50:1 per the manufacturers reccomendation. I have no idea how many hours are on the motor but it runs great. Hopefully yours does the same.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:16 pm

fowlhunter wrote:Gotcha! I know that pushing in the key should choke it. If it's not activating the choke then what could it be the problem?

Most likely choke solenoid, could be ignition switch or wire.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:37 am

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find. :thumbsup:
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds