Polar Kraft Hull ID #

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Polar Kraft Hull ID #

Postby RollTideWingShooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Need some help guys. I bought a used Polar Kraft last year and transferred the registration over to me no problem with the old registration. This year I'm trying to renew it and they're giving me grief because the Hull ID on the registration (the one that they issued and transferred) isn't a 12 digit number. They told me I need to locate it, and take a picture or a pencil trace of it and bring it back. I've been searching the boat and cannot find it. I've tried to google it and the places I've read to look aren't correct. I even went as far as to contact Polar Kraft and the guy who emailed me back told me that it "might be on stamped on the right side of the transom" and it was not. If anybody has any idea where this number might be, I would greatly appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
Roll Tide!
"At some places they play football, At Alabama We Live It!"
Roll Tide!
RollTideWingShooter
hunter

Re: Polar Kraft Hull ID #

Postby Einstein » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:58 am

On my Polar Kraft it is on the upper right side of the Transom, when looking at it from the back. It is a small steel plate about 1/2" tall by 3" wide. Look closely because if it has been painted over it will be harder to see. Look also for two rivets or rivet holes where the plate USED to be. It could have been torn off. Last, look also on the inside of the transom. I had an extra plate (manufacturer made it this way) stuck up on the inside bend on the transom. Let us know what you find.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby chiefwamego » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am

Did you ever find the HIN #? Did it list a Hull # on the registration? this is different from the registration number the state issued. Try calling Tim Weisser at Polar Kraft, 5744572082. Please let me know what you find out. do you know the age of the boat? Boats built before 1972 aren't required to have HIN's.
chiefwamego
hunter

Postby RollTideWingShooter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:13 pm

I contacted Polar Kraft and they told me on a 1973, it should be stamped onto a small plate on the right side of the transom. There was a plate riveted in (very small and cheaply done) so I didn't think that was it at first but it turned out to be it. That is the number that the boat had on it's original registration as the HIN for the state of Alabama. They told me at the license commissioner's office that they had adopted a new system and that it wouldn't let them proceed with the registration without a 12 digit number (which it was not) so I had to apply for a new HIN through the Marine Police Division in Montgomery, Alabama. It states on the application that it could take 4-6 weeks to complete. I overnighted the application including all the necessary paperwork and a letter explaining to them that I had visited the license commissioners office in Tuscaloosa 4-5 times in the past two months and they basically kept giving me the runaround until I asked to speak to a supervisor and then on my 5th visit he finally mentioned this form. If anyone who I had dealt with had just informed me of this on my first or even my second visit, I would've had it in plenty of time but now I run the risk of legally missing out on opening morning or even the entire first week because of the laziness of our "great state employees." (Even though if they do not complete it, I will be out there. I'm not going to let their stupidity stop me from the sport I love. If I get a ticket, I get a ticket.) Roll Tide!
Roll Tide!
RollTideWingShooter
hunter

Postby RollTideWingShooter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:02 am

UPDATE: Yesterday (12/10/13) I finally got a call from the Marine Police Division telling me that they were coming to inspect my boat and give me a new HIN. He was there all of 5 minutes, stuck the two stickers on, gave me some paperwork and left. So I was able to get my registration done and be all legal. Luckily, the few hunts I've been on so far, I was able to dodge "the man." A 2 month long, irritating process has come to an end.

Roll Tide!
Roll Tide!
RollTideWingShooter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:38 am

Get out a piece of tin and your punch set..give them what they want...then bondo over the hull number and attach your new plate....
I've done it before....no problem
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby silvermallard » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm in the same Boat. I just got a polar kraft boat but it only has a 5 digit hull number and the model number. I don't know what to do since to register it I will need a 12 digit number. I just want to hunt out of this old boat...i don't even know the year on the boat.
[color=#0000BF]Rock em & Lock em[/color]
silvermallard
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds