Aluminum Rivets for boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Aluminum Rivets for boats

Postby Deano » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:29 pm

Hey guys,
Where would i find aluminum rivets to replace the ones breaking in my boat? I know it's an older boat and the rivets are going south on it pretty quick with the use I've gotten out of it this year....................how can i replace the rivets??

Suggestions???

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:48 pm

i imagine most boat shops would have replacement rivets. or could order them. having them welded is an option too. you could have quite a few welded for $30 at a welding shop.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby camocraft17 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:48 am

You might try going to your local Fastenal store. Go to Fastenal.com to find one near you.

I used to work there and would occasionally find boat rivets for guys. They do have to be ordered in bulk though.

You may find something else that works instead of the actual boat rivet. They specialize in fasteners.
camocraft17
hunter

Rivets

Postby HOLYSTEEL » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:47 am

If you have a buddy that works at a Post office terminal where they repair the little mail trucks....he will have rivets... Boat delears that sell riveted boats will have them as well...lund...alumacraft ect.... All you need is ear plugs and a air powered chisel with a rivet adapter which is essentially the chisel ( with the chisel cut off and the steel shaft cupped like a head of a rivet. The guy on the inside of the boat need a "buck" which is a heavy pice of metal that will flatten the rivet out as the guy with the airhammer applies force from the rivit on the outside of the boat....Done hundreds...you take a drill and first use a punch to make a little dent in the top of the rivet from the outside and then drill right through the rivit and it will pop... use a smaller drill bit due to the fact that he hole in the aluminum boat is not the size of the squashed rivet on the inside of the boat... its smaller....Keep the drill straight on dont creat oblong holes or you will be going to the store trying to find larger rivets..Peace Out MTE
Rock Skipp'n Divers
HOLYSTEEL
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:34 pm

McMaster carr
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby billy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:53 am

I have an old Starcraft boat that has the same problem. We use airplane rivets that we get from a local fastener supply house. Can't find ones short enough but they can be easily trimmed with a pair of dikes. Be careful Welding on an older alluminum boat. Because of the way that the metal oxidizes you can create more problems than the one that you are trying to fix.
billy
hunter

Postby Deano » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks Billy, I'll keep that in mind. Season is over so time to work on boat now!

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:36 pm

I would caution aginst welding as you will probably end up with BIG holes in the thin aluminum. Marine West sells Closed end pop rivits that work great or you can find them on line (search for closed end pop rivit) or the fast and easy way is to use a product called Glovit(not sure on the spelling) 2 part epoxy made for ealing aluminum boat rivits. Follow the serface prep EXACTLY and it will seal your leaking rivits.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrimp0528 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:54 pm

if you go to academy there is a thing cauld marine j-b weld you just mix the to tubes together and if fixees it right up
shrimp0528
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds