Winch v. Block and Tackle. Help Please

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Winch v. Block and Tackle. Help Please

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:55 am

I found a really great honey hole of a spot. However I need to drop a boat in to use it. I have a 12 foot jon boat with an electric motor, and a sit on kayak that I use. (Please save any kayak critique, not the issue here). What I need is a way to pull out a roughly 65 lbs. boat up a steep (30 degree grade or so) incline. The trick is it needs to be removable as I use two different rigs.

Any ideas. I've tossed around a block and tackle attached the hitch, or a crank winch. Are electric winches removable?

I'm open to ideas. Thanks. (I usually run a F-150 or a Toyota Highlander depending on the day/distance/weather/party size, etc (you get the idea).
IdahoSkies
hunter

Re: Winch v. Block and Tackle. Help Please

Postby T Man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:03 pm

What power source will you be running the winch off of?

A Harbor Freight winch can be had fairly cheep and ought to do it for your 65lb boat, but you have to carry power with the winch. Block and tackle requires a LOT of rope to get a good easy pull, but could be significantly cheaper and more portable.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:28 pm

That is both of my dilemmas. Power, well, I could run it off the vehicle battery, but it would need to be something that is non permanent, as it would need to be able to swapped between rigs. I was also worried that some of the winches didn't have enough length.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:32 pm

If you can run the winch from the vehicle as it sounds like you can, Then mount it to a class three hitch that can be moved back and forth between vehicle's receivers and run a battery wire back there dedicated to the winch. Since you are not pulling real weight, put a smaller cable on the winch drum and maby double the cable length. The new Harbor Freight electric winch is a good value for this application. Have Fun!

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby sparelink » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 am

what you need is a Gas-Powered Capstan Winch. extremely portable and can use any length rope you want
sparelink
hunter

Postby Mholland » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 am

Lewis chainsaw winch if you want to go all out. Can easily be mounted to swap between rigs. Can't beat it for power and speed. Will set you back 1000-1500 though.
Mholland
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds