Outboard Motor Jet Drive

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Outboard Motor Jet Drive

Postby DuckFlyer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi, Just wondered if any of you have used or are using a Outboard Motor Jet drive. I'm considering a 20 hp Evenrude but am wondering how well they do in the swamp, weeds, shallow water with the silty bottoms? Any idea how well they compare (speed-wise), to a standard prop outboard?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:32 am

They are slower than a prop motor and they do not do well in weeds and mud. They are more for rocky rivers and such.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Re: Outboard Motor Jet Drive

Postby nuthin_but_green » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:23 am

DuckFlyer wrote:Hi, Just wondered if any of you have used or are using a Outboard Motor Jet drive. I'm considering a 20 hp Evenrude but am wondering how well they do in the swamp, weeds, shallow water with the silty bottoms? Any idea how well they compare (speed-wise), to a standard prop outboard?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

You will be worse off with a jet pump than a prop in those conditions. Plus unless you have a long narrow boat, a 20hp with a jet pump will go nowhere.

You would be better off buying a mud motor.
nuthin_but_green
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:36 pm

:withstupid:

Sand will destroy a jet. Weed will clog the screen and you will have power problemd until you stop and clean it out.

Mud motor or a prop with a rock guard there.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:37 pm

Actualy MM only. The rock guard will catch weeds too.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jjtroutkiller » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:09 pm

I have run an outboard jet and if you are hauling much weight then you will not be happy with the performance, with a light load and hunting shallow but clean water then they do great but if you hunt freshwater marsh or timber then there will be too much crap in the water for the pump to operate properly. It is hard to find the one boat that will do it all but you have to decide how you hunt 75% of the time. I have run airboats, tunnels, jets, long and short shaft mudmotors and have now gone back to what worked 20yrs ago. I am currently running a 1650 Xpress Tunnel with a 50hp Tohatsu and the only thing I would change is to get a 18' hull and have flotation pods on the rear.
jjtroutkiller
hunter

Postby DuckFlyer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks for the input. You saved me on the jet drive. I had a feeling they were more for rocky rivers but wasn't sure. The outboard works good most of the time. Think I'll look into building a mud motor.
Thanks,
Jon
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds