Boat Prop Question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat Prop Question

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:02 am

I have a 16 foot Lund SSV with a 40 hp mariner on it. Right now its propped with a 11.4 X 12 Solas prop. Im not getting onto plane loaded down. I don't have power trim on the motor does anyone know which way to go to get more Bite? It will get up with 2 guys but 3 no go....

I know the whole get a rpm gauge a few props.... I don't care as long as it gets up on plane if I lose top end....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Re: Boat Prop Question

Postby Boatman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 am

go down to a 11-10 pitch

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:50 am

Boatman wrote:go down to a 11-10 pitch

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks I don't have the tach but it sounds like its running high rpm with going down in pitch would that bring up the rpm or lower them?
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 am

Will increase RPM on top end. You need a tach,you can not listen and tell what rpm you are running.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:12 am

After watching this, and reading the comments, you may have a motor problem. Is this the boat you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB4UEmT-lMQ

I love Geese

Boatman
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:08 am

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=207131

Not really my boat is a renegade SSV its in pics above its a loaded model not the Jon boat type... floor gas tank, livewell, side storage front deck....

My motor is a 40 hp mariner (yammy built) 1986 runs great no miss and starts good cold... (knock on wood) :yes:
18javelin
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:37 am

18javelin wrote:http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=207131

Not really my boat is a renegade SSV its in pics above its a loaded model not the Jon boat type... floor gas tank, livewell, side storage front deck....

My motor is a 40 hp mariner (yammy built) 1986 runs great no miss and starts good cold... (knock on wood) :yes:

Doesn't matter how you think it runs, knowing your RPM is critical in knowing what size prop to get. You cannot distinguish a 200 rpm change by ear, but it can be the determining factor.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:44 pm

T Man wrote:
18javelin wrote:http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=207131

Doesn't matter how you think it runs, knowing your RPM is critical in knowing what size prop to get. You cannot distinguish a 200 rpm change by ear, but it can be the determining factor.

I understand that I cant hear RPMs however I can tell if its missing or doggy and its not it runs good mechanically, I just need some more Bite to get up im not wanting to fine tune it so to speak and get the most out of it I can. However where could I borrow a rpm gauge auto zone and does it just hook into a plug wire?
18javelin
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I would say,looking at the pics,you need a new prop. Go with a mercury or Michigan propeller,same thing. Yours is a bit tore up.

I love Geese

Boatman
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

18javelin wrote:

I understand that I cant hear RPMs however I can tell if its missing or doggy and its not it runs good mechanically, I just need some more Bite to get up im not wanting to fine tune it so to speak and get the most out of it I can. However where could I borrow a rpm gauge auto zone and does it just hook into a plug wire?

Inductive tach's are available online for cheap. I bought a knockoff Tiny Tach that worked long enough to dial in my prop size. How well it runs mechanically has little to do with setting up prop size. Motor problems need to be addressed before prop size can be calculated. Assuming the motor is running well you will need to figure out the RPM you are running. You wont ever have 1 prop that will do it all. If you want a prop to run a heavier load like 3 guys and gear, you will sacrifice on top end, you want top end, you will sacrifice on down low performance. You dont have to buy several props just to find one that is a good fit, you just need to know what your rpm is with your current prop (again, assuming it is in good shape).
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Boatman wrote:I would say,looking at the pics,you need a new prop. Go with a mercury or Michigan propeller,same thing. Yours is a bit tore up.

That's Just Spray paint wearing off. there isn't a ding or nick in it.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm

T Man wrote:
18javelin wrote:

Inductive tach's are available online for cheap. I bought a knockoff Tiny Tach that worked long enough to dial in my prop size. How well it runs mechanically has little to do with setting up prop size. Motor problems need to be addressed before prop size can be calculated. Assuming the motor is running well you will need to figure out the RPM you are running. You wont ever have 1 prop that will do it all. If you want a prop to run a heavier load like 3 guys and gear, you will sacrifice on top end, you want top end, you will sacrifice on down low performance. You dont have to buy several props just to find one that is a good fit, you just need to know what your rpm is with your current prop (again, assuming it is in good shape).

Im not trying to argue, I just needed to know which way to go up in pitch or down to get more torque I understand the fine tuning getting one that runs best on low and top end... I don't care about top end as long as it gets up on plane. Full throttle with the bow up is hard to see in a deep V boat and wont hit 15 mph now with 2 guys no gear it will run about 30. LOL I generally have only 2-3 mile runs and have a bass boat to fish out of so this is primarily a duck boat that's going to be loaded down...
18javelin
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:04 pm

18javelin wrote:
Im not trying to argue, I just needed to know which way to go up in pitch or down to get more torque I understand the fine tuning getting one that runs best on low and top end... I don't care about top end as long as it gets up on plane. Full throttle with the bow up is hard to see in a deep V boat and wont hit 15 mph now with 2 guys no gear it will run about 30. LOL I generally have only 2-3 mile runs and have a bass boat to fish out of so this is primarily a duck boat that's going to be loaded down...

This is why you need to figure out the rpm. Either you are over spinning and blowing out, or underspinning, either way its hard to tell without rpm. To completely spitwad this, I would say that if you bought a 4 blade with 1" lower pitch than what you have now you should be ok, but there are tons of variables. I am a bit curious as to the current pitch of the prop. I run a 13" on a 25hp. It seems you are underpropped, which would line up with the fact you think the motor is turning too fast, but without rpm, its impossible to tell.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:13 pm

T Man wrote:
18javelin wrote:

This is why you need to figure out the rpm. Either you are over spinning and blowing out, or underspinning, either way its hard to tell without rpm. To completely spitwad this, I would say that if you bought a 4 blade with 1" lower pitch than what you have now you should be ok, but there are tons of variables. I am a bit curious as to the current pitch of the prop. I run a 13" on a 25hp. It seems you are underpropped, which would line up with the fact you think the motor is turning too fast, but without rpm, its impossible to tell.

Its a Solas Prop marked 11.4 X 12--- 3 blade ( was on it when I bought the boat) model number MC 26 10 I see where u are coming from and was hoping it would be as simple as oh you need a 11or a 13.... I may run up to a Marina and see if they can let me borrow a tach or prop to test...
Last edited by 18javelin on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18javelin
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:16 pm

18javelin wrote:Its a Solas Prop marked 11.4 X 12--- 3 blade model number MC 26 10 I see where u are coming from and was hoping it would be as simple as oh you need a 11or a 13.... I may run up to a Marina and see if they can let me borrow a tach or prop to test...

If you have this option that is the way to go. Just remember to keep the boat loaded similarly to your hunting load.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:37 pm

T Man wrote:
18javelin wrote:Its a Solas Prop marked 11.4 X 12--- 3 blade model number MC 26 10 I see where u are coming from and was hoping it would be as simple as oh you need a 11or a 13.... I may run up to a Marina and see if they can let me borrow a tach or prop to test...

If you have this option that is the way to go. Just remember to keep the boat loaded similarly to your hunting load.

That's another hard one getting the guys the dog the gear then go out and test.... LOL You know you guys should have just picked a number right or wrong and went with it.... LOL :biggrin: :biggrin: Thanks I got some testing to do.... :beer:
18javelin
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Lots of pretty good basic prop info on iboats.com that may explain why rpm is so critical better than I can.

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/propel ... =365164021

I know boatman recommended Michigan Wheel or Merc. props, and both are great choices, but I switched over to Solas Props and have been quite happy. I smoked a series of $170 Merc props on shifting gravel bars in one of the rivers I run so I switched over to Solas props at 1/3 the money. I did lose 2mph top end, but I plane 2mph slower going from the same pitch Merc prop to the same pitch Solas prop. I now have a 3 blade on the boat and a 4 blade as a backup and am satisfied with them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby threedogs » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Go down to a nine and have some low end grunt. Make sure to run it wide open all the time and let us know how it works for you. Down = More rpms, up = less rpms .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds