Replacing Longtail with Surface Drive

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Replacing Longtail with Surface Drive

Postby lagunaduck » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:00 pm

I have been using a Go Devil 16' X 56" rig with a 25 HP Go Devil long tail for the past couple of years and want to upgrade to a Surface Drive. Does anybody have any experience with this? Can I purchase the surface drive engine and use it on my 16' X 56" round chine boat with good results or do I need a square chine surface drive boat to match the surface drive engine? I am thinking about the 35 HP Vanguard. Is this too much for such a boat? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
lagunaduck
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:41 am

Round chine boats will run fine with a surface drive. I run a round chine GatorTrax powered by a Mudbuddy Sport Hyperdrive 35 HP. I am assuming your round chine boat is a GoDevil. They still sell round chine boats and will hang a Go Devil Surface Drive on them.

When you have the additional speed that a surface drive motor will provide, you will appreciate the turn carving capabilities of the round chine. Square chine boats might be a tad faster and draft a tad higher, but they will slide in a high speed turn (easily fixed by momentarily backing off the throttle in a hard turn). So either hull design will work fine with any shorttail.

A 1656 wth surface drive is a pretty fast running hull according from what I have heard.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds