Inboard mini mud motor

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Inboard mini mud motor

Postby tclark » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Has anyone ever built a small marsh/sneakboat style boat with a inboard mud motor? I love the low profile of these boats, but it seems like the motor sticking up kinda ruins the low profile. If one were to take a small engine, maybe even a weedeater style engine, and build it into the boat you would have a mobile low profile boat. I wouldn't expect it to be fast, but you would have longer range than a trolling motor and be able to get into skinny, grassy water better than a trolling motor as well. Should also help with the noise. Is this even feasable or am I crazy?
tclark
hunter

Postby DuckFlyer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:05 pm

Check this out! www.mokai.com Got lots of potential, I don't know cst.
Jon
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby tclark » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:57 pm

That's almost exactly what I'm talking about, except with a prop drive instead of a jet drive(jet would work great for some places but not in the weeds I encounter). Same kind of setup though.
tclark
hunter

Postby goose_boy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:26 am

Well then they just did all the work for you. All you have to do now is find a waterproof seal for the boat hull and put a prop on it. Do a little head scratching and really think about it. Sometimes a few beers helps me out, helps me think outside the box.
goose_boy
hunter

Postby G.A.W.D » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 am

Kill'em & Grill'em
G.A.W.D
Newb

Postby tclark » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:24 am

Beer is definantly good creative juice :salude:
How about a Kawasaki 220 engine complete with 5spd tranny and reverse?
tclark
hunter

Postby dhudson29 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:55 pm

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about but if you go to Louisianasportsman.com and go to the classifieds section. do a search in the classifieds section for a pirogue and you will find a couple of pirogues (for you northerners it is kind of like a canoe but with a flat bottom) They may have been sold already but the pictures will still be there. There are two ( I think ) motorized pirogues on there that have a 5 hp engine with drive shaft and prop similar to a go devil motor but they go through the hull of the pirogue. Basically it is like an inboard mud motor on a pirogue. Hope this gives you some ideas. I have seen them run and they do pretty good though this set up is not intended for a lot of weight.
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds