Looking for a cheap product for slick bottom

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Looking for a cheap product for slick bottom

Postby dogyak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Anyone one of you DIY guys out there know of a product from Lowe's , Home Depot , West Marine , or what ever coating that can be applied to the bottom of boat to make it slicker . One such product a friend got was name Quick Slick , but it's $94.00 a gallon . It's was made for airboats , buy can't seeing paying that much when my Jon boat was only 200 . Ok guys , lets hear it . Got to be something that makes our boat slide easier over water , grass , or marsh at a box store
dogyak
hunter

Re: Looking for a cheap product for slick bottom

Postby aeonstar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Nope there is no such critter as cheap slick bottom.
Quickslick, frog spit, steel flex all work great but on a small jon im not sure you will see the benefits.

I run frogspit on my 16' airboat and the stuff is pretty amazing. Don't ask me how I know this but Make sure you keep the boat tied down as you back down the ramp
aeonstar
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:41 pm

aeonstar wrote:Nope there is no such critter as cheap slick bottom.
Quickslick, frog spit, steel flex all work great but on a small jon im not sure you will see the benefits.

I run frogspit on my 16' airboat and the stuff is pretty amazing. Don't ask me how I know this but Make sure you keep the boat tied down as you back down the ramp

Hahahaha
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Most of those "cheap" paint on methods will wear off over time and lose their effectiveness. Honestly the best thing for what you're trying to do is to put poly on your boat, but it ain't cheap. My vote for a "cheap" method would be either gator glide or quick slick.

What kind of boat are you wanting to put this on and what kind of motor are you using?
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 am

I put high gloss paint on the very bottom of my boat. It works nice for sliding the boat off the mud when the tide falls out. As long as its wet mud and not sand that is.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:30 pm

X2 for Frog Spit! Got it on the bottom of my boat
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 am

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:X2 for Frog Spit! Got it on the bottom of my boat

How long has it been on there? i am really looking for durability comparisons between Frog Spit and Flex Steel.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 am

I have the Wetlander 3L system on the bottom of my boat - love it. But its pretty expensive.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:42 pm

thanks a lot for the replies . I think I'm going to just try the high gloss paint . Really can't see paying 75 and up on a product that cost almost half of the Jon boat . If it helps a little , then good . If not , I'm only out of 20 dollars . Oh , someone asked what boat I am using . It's a 9 foot Lowes River Jon boat with a 6.5 hp swamp runner motor .
dogyak
hunter

Postby :-) » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 pm

You're asking the boat to do something it's not designed to do. You need more HP, and a bigger boat to do what you want to do.

Does your setup plane out when you're running it? If it does slick bottom paint may help a little, but if it doesn't just go hunting & have fun. Save yourself the $20.00...just my $.02
:-)
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm

:-) wrote:You're asking the boat to do something it's not designed to do. You need more HP, and a bigger boat to do what you want to do.

Does your setup plane out when you're running it? If it does slick bottom paint may help a little, but if it doesn't just go hunting & have fun. Save yourself the $20.00...just my $.02

First off , I'm getting 20 MPH , so horse power is no problem . Just thought any little advantage too make it slide more would help without doing Mod's too the engine . Only running stock .
dogyak
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:12 am

I think the benefits you would see with high gloss paint (if any) would be negligible. Most of these products have a texture to them that helps break surface tension, which creates the "slick" effect. They also have an epoxy or similar hardening agent to make them more durable. I don't remember exactly what I paid for mine, but I purchased a quart of gator glide and was able to do my boat and 2 marsh boats and I've loved the stuff. There's no comparison between a boat that has it and one that doesn't.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:27 am

If you want a cheap slick bottom to see if there would be any benefit, breakout the wax and buffing wheel. Otherwise I would use GatorGlide.
okie_duck
hunter

Postby BigWater EH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:11 pm

What can you expect for a service life between re-coats, under normal vs extreme conditions? I'm talking Gatorglide or equal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BigWater EH
hunter

Postby :-) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Gator Glide will last you a long time...you don't have to reapply it annually, but I would suggest annual touch ups.
:-)
hunter

Postby Lane » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:53 pm

20 dollar gloss paint will do the opposite of what your trying to achieve once you scratch it.... which won't take long. :yes:
Lane
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds