Layout Boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Layout Boat?

Postby duck_dynasty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 am

Has anyone tried using the Otter Stealth 1200 as a layout boat? Even if you haven't do you think it could work?
duck_dynasty
hunter

Re: Layout Boat?

Postby gunner1973 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:54 am

i think any low profile boat will work as long as you can blend it in to the surroundings well , the only issue with a small boat ,is you cant pack as much decoys or gear with you as you could with a bigger boat
gunner1973
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

The stealth boats are great shooting platforms. I use my 1200 sitting on a swivel chair with a ghylie throw over every thing. I wear a brimed hat for eye cover. It is very comfortable and very effective. I back up to some vegetation with this for a broken silhouette.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby duck_dynasty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Right Mark but I'm wondering about it's effectiveness as a layout boat in open water?
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby Cajunwannabe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:30 am

Folks misunderstand that a marsh boat is not a layout boat. You don't want to use a "marsh boat" as a true layout boat. Not even close to the same performance and stability. These boats are designed for deeper open water with swells and whitecaps = whole different league.

Layout gunning is very effective but very dangerous without the right equipment, most importantly a large tender boat and an operator that knows what he's doing.
Attachments
LAYOUT.jpg
A True Layout Boat
(12.44 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
Cajunwannabe
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Cajunwannabe wrote:Folks misunderstand that a marsh boat is not a layout boat. You don't want to use a "marsh boat" as a true layout boat. Not even close to the same performance and stability. These boats are designed for deeper open water with swells and whitecaps = whole different league.

Layout gunning is very effective but very dangerous without the right equipment, most importantly a large tender boat and an operator that knows what he's doing.

tis true, but in the Mid-west with no large waters like that and mostly marshes we think of layout boats like the 4-Rivers, Mo-marsh, Hunt-em and boats like that as layout boats, as they are used as a layout boat while hidden in flooded corn, smart weed, cattails, and any flooded marsh really where you can hide a boat in some vegetation. Also guys like myself who use the "marsh layout boat" as a mode of transport to spots some times, and blind to sit in on other hunts. So you can go alone or hunt with a buddy that has a boat too and motor or paddle to your spot in shallow water usually and then set up and hunt.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby fireman1293 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:30 pm

We have a Otter 2000 and a Avery Powerhunter fits perfect inside the boat.
fireman1293
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds