Introducing the Toller Hellcat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Introducing the Toller Hellcat

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:56 pm

Some of you guys may have seen this on other sites but I thought I would post it up here none the less.

Well, I didn't finish in time for our last weekend but I did finish in time for the youth hunt. Took it out Friday afternoon for a short test run and was extremely happy, still breaking the motor in but ran 30 at about 1/3 throttle. She handled turns great with no slide. We ran to our spot on youth day with 3 adults and 2 kids, gear and 10+ dz decoys all the time cruising around 25 at 1/3 throttle. I can't wait to see what she'll do at WOT. :eek:

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the build. Only a few head scratches along the way, not bad for a design that was entirely in my head. The only thing that got laid out on paper was the transom, everything else I fabbed as I went along. Alot like a game of chess so to speak.

Anyway, here goes.

She's sporting a 2007 Yamaha 90, she should carry the mail if all goes as planned.

Here's the front, part of the design that I really like...

Looking down at the front deck, the "hatch" is semi-permanent. Set in silicone and screwed. This way if I ever need to replace the sending unit on the tank or do any other kind of work in there I can...

Looking down into the boat at the driver's seat...

Dry storage locker/bench seat....

cont....
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:57 pm

One of my favorite shots :lol:

Another view of the splashwell...

Here's one of us idling in from picking up a cripple on youth day.
Brad
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Very nice! :salude:
Great job,especially since it was a "head" job-no plans. :thumbsup:

Is the center console bought or built?
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:18 pm

Dogman wrote:Very nice! :salude:
Great job,especially since it was a "head" job-no plans. :thumbsup:

Is the center console bought or built?

The comments are much appreciated. I built the console as well.

Brad
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:22 pm

good night man that thing is awesome!!! i cant wait until i have the funds to get a badass boat like that. oh well i guess i just get to drool over yalls boats for the time being! :salude:
agengo02
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:38 pm

Very nice duck sled. :thumbsup:

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks guys, if you want to see some pictures of the build you can check out this thread....

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=26194

Brad
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:53 pm

That is one of the best looking boats I have seen in a while, War Eagle who, G3 what, I would submit the Hellcat kicks ass and yes I am sucking up. :mrgreen:
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:58 pm

How long did that take you? If you don't mind me asking, how much $ did you have to shell out?
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:07 pm

MossyGO! wrote:How long did that take you? If you don't mind me asking, how much $ did you have to shell out?

No problem. I started this boat around the 1st of November and finished up last week. That was only working nights and weekends after teaching, along with a few workdays here and there. I didn't really get cranking on it til around Thanksgiving. I can build a standard DH much quicker now and will be quicker on ensuing Hellcats. Of course I've built 11 boats to date and getting ready to start an original DH for a NC customer so previous experience plays a factor.

As for money, I'll be able to write this one off on taxes as a demo boat so I went all out on accessories. I really haven't totaled everything up but a rough estimate is around 4K in materials not including the motor and trailer.

Brad
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:16 pm

oooooooooooooo. :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Boy`s I got to see this rig up close and personal last night, and pictures don`t do it credit. This has to be one of the best rigs I`ve seen. :eek: Ducker is a true craftsman and one nice feller :thumbsup:

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:35 pm

:cool:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby highbrass » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:20 pm

GOOD LOOKING BOAT .. BUT NO ROOM TO HUNT??????????

HOW MUCH ROOM IS THERE.. CARRY GEAR,DEKES ?
TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING OR THEY WILL BE HUNTING FOR DRUGS.....
highbrass
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 pm

highbrass wrote:GOOD LOOKING BOAT .. BUT NO ROOM TO HUNT??????????

HOW MUCH ROOM IS THERE.. CARRY GEAR,DEKES ?

Can be set up a variety of different ways to open up more room. Side console or tiller. I set this one up center for several reasons, mostly because it will be used as a tender for our layout. The rest of its use will be fishing, flounder gigging and seaducking. You can comfortably hunt 3 if shooting seaducks. We had 3 adults, 2 kids, gear and 10 + dz decoys (2 bags strapped down on the front deck) on youth day with no problem. There is plenty of room under the front deck for 5-6 dz decoys and more room for gear than you will need along the sides.

Brad
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby highbrass » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:32 pm

How much does one cost ??????
and what size do they come,,, do you have any other pics of different styles Thanks Rick
TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING OR THEY WILL BE HUNTING FOR DRUGS.....
highbrass
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds