Duck Hunting Forum banner

Opinions on 17ft duck boat: War Eagle 754 LDV

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BigWater EH 
#1 ·
Looking for users of 17 ft duck boats, War Eagle, Express, Phowler, etc....I have been hunting with a 14ft duck boat and now I want to move up and my wife has given the thumbs up. I think 16ft is to small and 18 ft wont fit in most of the boat hides on the public land near me in NE Illinois. I hunt with 2 other guys and a chessie so we need some room and weight capacity. I want to run a tiller now and maybe buy a mudmotor for special hunts.

I have looked at all the boat web sites and really like the war eagle 754 LDV with pod seating. I know express, alweld and others have same. Looking for personal experience with this size boat.

Thanks

Rob

#2 ·
I sold that WE boat for years, but it is not the ideal boat if you are even considering a MM at some point. The Express is the same deal, you will not get a full three man load with all gear up and going with a stock 36 class mm on that boat. If your primary use is going to be hunting with fishing in the summer, look at a good mudboat like a Phowler 1760 or PD, GD etc. They are much better suited for hunting and can be easily switched over for fishing and family in the summer months. We have alot of guys running Phowlers over your way, just stop and talk with them about their experience with us and our boats. You are right, an 18 would be better for load, but you can get by with a 1760 if it is set up right.

PW

#3 ·
Thanks PW,

I've hunted with Mike and Dean up at Big Water Outdoors and had experience with the big water boat they get from you both on Green Bay and Lake Michigan.

That style is a little more than I need but it is a tank. My goal is a boat to hunt n fish locally on the Chain of Lakes, maybe go out to the Mississippi and try there too.

BC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.