Layout boat questions

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Layout boat questions

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I've been contemplating a few different boat options for the last 2 years. What I'm really interested in is something that I can hunt rivers with and also use as a layout on big water (Lake Erie). I'd like to have room for a dog behind, but it's not essential, especially if I have a motor. If I get something that's can handle a decent enough motor, I might just use a kayak for the skinny water aspect of it.

On the rivers and skinny water was planning on building a mud motor, and using either an outboard for big water or having a tender. What determines the big water worthiness? Would you ever use a aquapod for a layout in big water? What about Momarsh fatboy or DP? Or do you have to use a dedicated layout that is pumpkinseed shaped?

Thanks
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Re: Layout boat questions

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 pm

You may be asking too much of one boat. You cannot use a true layout boat to run rivers. You cannot even put a motor on it. Sounds like you need two boats for two completely different applications.

As far as using an AquaPod for big water layout, the answer is no. It isn't designed for that and could easily become dangerous.
I use an AquaPod for a layout boat/blind, with a larger, powered 'tender', on the shallow marshes and it is an awesome tool, but I would never take it on big water.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Smith » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Mudpack is exactly right; those little marsh boats are not appropriate for big water. Use a real layout boat for this. The big-water seaworthiness comes from a combination of things:

--The deck, which slopes down to the water, or nearly so, needs to be long enough, or wide enough, to break waves as they try to board the boat. Usually, the boat rides up and almost over each wave, but the very top of many waves will break onto the deck, keeping the deck awash. That, in itself, is a good thing, because it makes the boat harder to see.

--The second feature is key; A cockpit coaming surrounds the boat's cockpit to stop these broken wavetops from flowing into the cockpit, diverting them back onto the deck from where they run harmlessly back into the lake. Usually, it is made of canvas, and the height is usually adjustable so is can be kept just high enough to do its job without presenting a higher profile than is necessary.

--Typically, the side decks are fairly wide, preventing the boat's occupant from getting too close to the side and causing the boat to capsize. Most layout boats are incredibly stable and solid feeling, as long as the occupant(s) stay fully inside the cockpit.

I have never seen a dog used in a layout boat, although I suppose it could be done. But you'll need a tending boat anyway to carry the rig and set it up. Typically, layout hunting is done with two or more hunters, taking turns with one or two guys in the layout while the other(s) tend the rig, retrieving downed birds, and keeping an eye on the layout.
Smith
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Funny....you've been behind me in thoughts and theories about 40 days for the past year.

I've asked it twice.

The Four Rivers EBADS is about the best answer you'll find all around. I still have some cash in my pocket. I'll either go that route next spring, or built a Duckhunter this winter riding out the cold Jan and Feb in my shop.

If I can find the threads I'll add them.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks Jesse. Might just end up getting a kayak to hunt slow moving rivers, and put a trolling motor on it when I need to get upstream. Get a true layout for that and then a deep v for a tender / Lake Erie boat.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds