12 Foot Hybrid NL Possible?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

12 Foot Hybrid NL Possible?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:15 pm

My old 12 foot john boat is about ready to bite the dust. It's been beat to death. I was thinking about getting another aluninum boat but I think I would do the same thing to it and destroy it hahaha. I had just a couple of questions about building a Hybrid NL. Has anyone built a 12 footer? And how difficult would it be as far as the extra steps involved? I'd like it to be that big to haul decoys and my brother I usually hunt with. We hunt big ponds but the water is only 3 feet deep at the highest. This would be my go-to boat.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to put some kind of wheels on the bottom. Where we hunt, we have to drag our boat across a dike to get to where we want to go. This has destroyed my old lunker. I saw the FA layout blind had some wheels on it and this gave me the idea. My boat will be used to haul decoys and travel to our spot. I'd like it to be rugged and durable. Speed isn't really a factor for me.

I was just wondering these things to see if I should start saving the money to complete this project if it is possible. Thanks in advance.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Re: 12 Foot Hybrid NL Possible?

Postby sharris » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:12 pm

It's possible to build one that big, but I don't know if anyone has. Anything over 8 feet and you just have to scarf the wood together. It's a pretty simple process. My hybrid is 9 ft long and I use a canoe/kayak cart that I bought off of amazon. It is a two wheeled gizmo that ratchet straps onto the front so I just grab the back handles and give her a push. It's the only way I can move the boat loaded down with my hunting stuff across any distance by myself. I wouldn't drag any boat across a dike repeatedly and expect it to hold up long term.

Here's the cart I bought: http://www.amazon.com/TMS-CART-CANOE-KA ... kayak+cart
sharris
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 pm

I appreciate the response. I think this will be easier and more practical for my wheel idea. Sure appreciate it!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Sent you a PM Jr.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:26 am

Some guys have built 12 ft Hybrids and they work well. I recommend an additional layer of FG cloth on the bottom.

As for wheels - get a dolly with big puffy wheels on it and trim the dolly (shorten it). You ratchet strap it to the back bottom of the boat and pull on the handle on the nose of the boat. Works like a charm.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds