Boat blind flaring ducks? Updated pictures!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat blind flaring ducks? Updated pictures!

Postby Lmtrain » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:44 pm

II have a boat blind wrapped in Avery fast grass. Some is the brown and green stuff but most of it is the cattail color. I hunt lakes and rivers mostly ( not many marshes around here) so I am thinking it is to light in color. Have changed decoy setups and left out spinners of the spread still flaring ducks? Just curious if others have had problems with flaring ducks with fast grass on their boats and if so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for everyone's input
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Lmtrain on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lmtrain
hunter

Re: Boat blind flaring ducks?

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:22 pm

It isn't so much that the grass is flaring the birds, but that your blind looks wildly out of place. Any pictures?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Grouse » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Pics would be good.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Lmtrain » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Your right tman, without the lighter grass around the lake do you think it would help to paint the lighter grass? i will get pictures tomorrow and post them up.
Lmtrain
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:41 pm

You can paint the grass to make it darker. I would venture to say they are probably seeing your faces or looking down into the blind. Cover up the top and keep you and your friends heads inside. Hunt crosswinds whenever possible so they aren't looking straight at you. Hope this helps.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes, I have seen it with fast grass blinds many times.. especially with ducks that stick around and get called/shot at every day. They fly around a grass blind.

Hit it lightly with some flat brown, should help some. Its probably the profile though, most fast grass blinds I have seen look completely square.. especially from the air. Change that and you will shoot more ducks as well.

Another is when people put the fast grass on upside down. The grass faces up, not down, and hangs out in a 3D look.
It should look like this

Not this
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:30 pm

I paint shadow lines on my grass to try and break up the flat profile.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44 am

I took my grass off of my Marsh Rat because I felt it was flaring birds.

I went with the green/brown netting I used underneath and cut local vegetation to break up the outline and add some depth.

Hunted 2 days in a row, first day birds were weary of the area, second day without the grass, birds were in my face. I think the darker color looks like shadows when combined with lighter local vegetation and less unnatural.

I hunted the exact same spot both days.

5 birds the first day, limit the second.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 am

Ya gotta match the hatch!!

Not always easy if your hunting different areas of cover, and the change of season. But I did the same for years, thought those grass panels were the greatest blind material ever, till I took some pictures while it was set up at some of my hunting spots :fingerhead:

Totally out of place were I hunted.....even painted they didn't match 90% of the time.

Good luck it's all part of the game :beer:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:37 am

1st I always try to break-up the profile of my boat by looking for cover along the shoreline that I can push my blind into or up against.

2nd you have to match this cover, so attach local materials brush green cat tails etc.

3rd if possible setup with the sun to your back to give yourself every advantage.

You will also want to minimize any openings in the top of your blind. Some use burlap or canvas, I built individual doors that are spring loaded with a bungee cord.

Hope this helps!
okie_duck
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:22 am

What I dont understand is why people will go into a field and grass a layout blind to the local conditions, but wont do the same with their boat blind. I brush up with natural vegetation when I get there, only using my grass as a base layer.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Boatman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:16 am

T Man wrote:What I dont understand is why people will go into a field and grass a layout blind to the local conditions, but wont do the same with their boat blind. I brush up with natural vegetation when I get there, only using my grass as a base layer.

T that would not be legal to do on public land, you may not cut natural vegetation.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:00 am

T Man wrote:What I dont understand is why people will go into a field and grass a layout blind to the local conditions, but wont do the same with their boat blind. I brush up with natural vegetation when I get there, only using my grass as a base layer.

Not legal. Can't take it from public and can't steal it from private on a river bank.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:29 am

BBK wrote:

Not legal. Can't take it from public and can't steal it from private on a river bank.

Different rules in KS I guess. We can grass, just not cut it down. Where I hunt there are plenty if downed limbs already to use. I do carry all the pieces for an artificial Christmas tree in a tote in my boat to add on if needed.

Per kdwp&t regs:

natural blinds may be used and shall be constructed of natural herbaceous materials or woody debris that are present on the site;

T Man
Super Moderator

Postby okie_duck » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 am

T Man wrote:
BBK wrote:

Different rules in KS I guess. We can grass, just not cut it down. Where I hunt there are plenty if downed limbs already to use. I do carry all the pieces for an artificial Christmas tree in a tote in my boat to add on if needed.

Per kdwp&t regs:

natural blinds may be used and shall be constructed of natural herbaceous materials or woody debris that are present on the site;

Same in OK only these are from a federal refuge.

image.jpg
image.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
okie_duck
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds