outboard problems

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

outboard problems

Postby Take em boys » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 pm

I got a 15 HP sea king from a guy who said it worked a few years ago. I replaced the plugs put a new recoil spring on cleaned the crap out of the carb and fuel filter were it goes into the pump. diaphragm looks good the one way valve looked good. I can get it started for about 1 min then it sputters out and dies, I pump the bulb until I can here it fill the bowl in the carb the restart it same thing, but if I pump the bulb manualy it still dies????

right when I quit trying I noticed the 2 cylinders were HOT water was sizziling when it hit them ;/ im brand new with outboards but mechanicly inclined just kinda stumped here were shall I start???

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: outboard problems

Postby Take em boys » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:14 am

just dropped the lower unit impeller looks brand new
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:34 am

Take em boys wrote:I got a 15 HP sea king from a guy who said it worked a few years ago. I replaced the plugs put a new recoil spring on cleaned the crap out of the carb and fuel filter were it goes into the pump. diaphragm looks good the one way valve looked good. I can get it started for about 1 min then it sputters out and dies, I pump the bulb until I can here it fill the bowl in the carb the restart it same thing, but if I pump the bulb manualy it still dies????

right when I quit trying I noticed the 2 cylinders were HOT water was sizziling when it hit them ;/ im brand new with outboards but mechanicly inclined just kinda stumped here were shall I start???

Colton

When you say you cleaned the carb, do you mean you sprayed it and wiped it down, or did you disassemble it, soak it in carb cleaner, blow out the passages, and then re-assemble. Only one of those two things is actually cleaning a carb. Sounds to me like your float needle is stuck.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Take em boys » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:58 am

took apart all parts were soaked in sea foam/carb cleaner mix over night and all day blew every single hole out with carb cleaner until it came out from some were els any other way to test the needle??? any way I can bend the hook a bit that connects to the float to give it a little more play???

Thanks!!!!

Colton
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Boatman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:05 am

Head gasket. If the head gskt is blown into the water jacket it will pressureize it and not allow waterpump to push water up to block.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Rockbuggy1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:09 pm

X2 on the head gasket. If that's what's going on you should be able to pull the plugs out then spin the motor over with the lower unit submerged and have water shoot out the spark plug holes.
Rockbuggy1
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Okay found a small hole in the diaphragm ordered new gaskets and diaphragm but as far as getting it to start peeing I cant get it impeller is spinning have it In deep water pulled the plugs they both have burnt oil on them no water came out and not finding any milky oil any were
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Do a compression check on both cylinders. Report back.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 am

I'm not familiar with Sea King's but do they have a thermostat? Just wondering if it could be two unrelated problems at the same time. I would think if it were a head gasket there would be water leaking either in the cylinders or outside which you could see. If the impeller was okay, Was the impeller plate nice and clean when you reinstalled the housing? Did you use any sealant? Did you remove the water outlet line from the block to make sure it was clear? Most of the fuel pumps you can take totally apart even though they say you can't rebuild them. Clean it up nice and put it back together using Seal-All. Did you check to see if the float was reinstalled up-side down? A lot of questions I know! I certainly would do a compression check like Boatman said, Then you really know where you stand. :beer:
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:01 pm

One thing to keep in mind. Waterpump pressure is 20 psi max,engine compression is 100-150psi and when the explosion takes place the pressure is way higher. So yes it is possible to push pressure in to the water system and have no water in the cylinder.Also If the head gasket blows into the water system no water will make it up the water tube because of the pressure.

I love Geese

Boatman
hunter

Postby scott0190 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:37 pm

check impellor on shaft for water pump be sure it is spinning with the shaft not freely you could have a knocked out pin. Also that engine should not get that hot pull of head, water housing, thermostat and house, clean or replace, new gaskets re-install. The engine is getting too hot....
scott0190
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds