Duck Hunting Forum banner

New Jon Project

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dogyak 
#1 ·
Here's the new ride.. Can't wait to get home and work on her. Cost me $700. 12' with a 50 lb thrust troller and a garmin fish finder. More pic's to follow as I work on it! Any advice or ideas are welcome

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have many plans yet other than to paint her, and seal the bottom.. Any ideas? Adds?

#4 ·
I love threads like these. As much as I enjoyed making my hybrid, I would love to do one of these jon boat projects. Just always been too rich for my blood. Did the $700 include the trailer?

#5 ·
Hey Assa everything was 700. The trailer is solid, no rust or anything. The boat is riveted so I can always get it welded but for now to get by for this season, I'm just going to spray that rustoleum leak patch stuff as a precautionary. The trolling motor and garmin fish finder are brand new. I'm not too sure what I should do as far as upgrades that I can pull off quickly.. Anyway ideas?

#6 ·
wanapasaki said:
I'm just going to spray that rustoleum leak patch stuff as a precautionary.
No!!!! It will just make it a bigger pita when you have to redo it the right way. That stuff can't handle the hydraulic pressure of being under the waterline.

If the boat leaks Buck the rivets or put 3m 5200 on it.

Shouted from the bottom of a well

#7 ·
T Man said:
wanapasaki said:
I'm just going to spray that rustoleum leak patch stuff as a precautionary.
No!!!! It will just make it a bigger pita when you have to redo it the right way. That stuff can't handle the hydraulic pressure of being under the waterline.

If the boat leaks Buck the rivets or put 3m 5200 on it.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll look into that

#8 ·
The guys on tinboats.net are fond of a product called gluv-it. Supposedly it acts as a decent sealer on leaky rivets. Ive never used it so I dont know anything about it. Are you building it to be a hunting boat, a fishing boat, or both. Maybe its just me, but that boat looks deep for a 1236. How tall is the transom?

#9 ·
T Man said:
The guys on tinboats.net are fond of a product called gluv-it. Supposedly it acts as a decent sealer on leaky rivets. Ive never used it so I dont know anything about it. Are you building it to be a hunting boat, a fishing boat, or both. Maybe its just me, but that boat looks deep for a 1236. How tall is the transom?
I'm not sure about the measurements.. My lady picked it up and towed it home for me. I haven't got a chance to get my hands on it. All I know is that it's a 12 footer. I was thinking instead of bucking those rivets, I should just get it welded. I have a few buddies out here that can do it. The lady said the transom has a rating for a 5 hp motor. I guess I will have to deal with a slow ride lol

#10 ·
wanapasaki said:
T Man said:
I'm not sure about the measurements.. My lady picked it up and towed it home for me. I haven't got a chance to get my hands on it. All I know is that it's a 12 footer. I was thinking instead of bucking those rivets, I should just get it welded. I have a few buddies out here that can do it. The lady said the transom has a rating for a 5 hp motor. I guess I will have to deal with a slow ride lol
You only need to buck the rivets that leak, not all of them. A boat that size would take about 2 hours to buck every rivet on it. You just need a ball peen hammer, and another hammer, or bucking block. Hold the block on the flat side of the rivet, and use the ball peen hammer to tighten up the rivet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.