New Jon Project

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

New Jon Project

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:20 am

Here's the new ride.. Can't wait to get home and work on her. Cost me $700. 12' with a 50 lb thrust troller and a garmin fish finder. More pic's to follow as I work on it! Any advice or ideas are welcome

Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: New Jon Project

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:04 pm

What are your plans for her?
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I don't have many plans yet other than to paint her, and seal the bottom.. Any ideas? Adds?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 pm

I love threads like these. As much as I enjoyed making my hybrid, I would love to do one of these jon boat projects. Just always been too rich for my blood. Did the $700 include the trailer?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey Assa everything was 700. The trailer is solid, no rust or anything. The boat is riveted so I can always get it welded but for now to get by for this season, I'm just going to spray that rustoleum leak patch stuff as a precautionary. The trolling motor and garmin fish finder are brand new. I'm not too sure what I should do as far as upgrades that I can pull off quickly.. Anyway ideas?
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:37 pm

wanapasaki wrote: I'm just going to spray that rustoleum leak patch stuff as a precautionary.

No!!!! It will just make it a bigger pita when you have to redo it the right way. That stuff can't handle the hydraulic pressure of being under the waterline.

If the boat leaks Buck the rivets or put 3m 5200 on it.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 pm

T Man wrote:
wanapasaki wrote: I'm just going to spray that rustoleum leak patch stuff as a precautionary.

No!!!! It will just make it a bigger pita when you have to redo it the right way. That stuff can't handle the hydraulic pressure of being under the waterline.

If the boat leaks Buck the rivets or put 3m 5200 on it.

Shouted from the bottom of a well

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll look into that
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:55 pm

The guys on tinboats.net are fond of a product called gluv-it. Supposedly it acts as a decent sealer on leaky rivets. Ive never used it so I dont know anything about it. Are you building it to be a hunting boat, a fishing boat, or both. Maybe its just me, but that boat looks deep for a 1236. How tall is the transom?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:07 pm

T Man wrote:The guys on tinboats.net are fond of a product called gluv-it. Supposedly it acts as a decent sealer on leaky rivets. Ive never used it so I dont know anything about it. Are you building it to be a hunting boat, a fishing boat, or both. Maybe its just me, but that boat looks deep for a 1236. How tall is the transom?

I'm not sure about the measurements.. My lady picked it up and towed it home for me. I haven't got a chance to get my hands on it. All I know is that it's a 12 footer. I was thinking instead of bucking those rivets, I should just get it welded. I have a few buddies out here that can do it. The lady said the transom has a rating for a 5 hp motor. I guess I will have to deal with a slow ride lol
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
T Man wrote:The guys on tinboats.net are fond of a product called gluv-it. Supposedly it acts as a decent sealer on leaky rivets. Ive never used it so I dont know anything about it. Are you building it to be a hunting boat, a fishing boat, or both. Maybe its just me, but that boat looks deep for a 1236. How tall is the transom?

I'm not sure about the measurements.. My lady picked it up and towed it home for me. I haven't got a chance to get my hands on it. All I know is that it's a 12 footer. I was thinking instead of bucking those rivets, I should just get it welded. I have a few buddies out here that can do it. The lady said the transom has a rating for a 5 hp motor. I guess I will have to deal with a slow ride lol

You only need to buck the rivets that leak, not all of them. A boat that size would take about 2 hours to buck every rivet on it. You just need a ball peen hammer, and another hammer, or bucking block. Hold the block on the flat side of the rivet, and use the ball peen hammer to tighten up the rivet.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby z51 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:11 am

Find the leaks if any and fix them one at a time. Nothing in a spray can will work.
z51
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:57 am

z51 wrote:Find the leaks if any and fix them one at a time. Nothing in a spray can will work.

X2
dogyak
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds