second boat recomendations

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

second boat recomendations

Postby hobbsj » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:53 am

So I'm realizing I need a second boat. I have a hybrid prototype I built a couple of years ago. What I'm thinking of is something similar in size, but not a layout type boat. Maybe an open top like a canoe. I don't think I'll be hunting from it, but want something that will paddle a faster than what I have. If I do hunt from it, it will be calm waters and only on the rare occasion. Its essentially something to get me and my gear from point A to point B with my decoys and what not. It needs to be light as I put it on my car. I car top the hybrid, but its a bit cumbersome and the wife gives me flack for all the dents from it. Cheap would be good too. I have resin from my last build and realize I need to buy the glass fabric. I was thinking of just doing something similar to the prototype, remove the deck, and angle in the bow to more of a point and throw on some oar locks. But I don't know how that would work structurally. Or, if the short length will still make it slow and "waddle" side to side when paddled. Any recomendations appreciated.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Re: second boat recomendations

Postby MissedAgain » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:16 am

Do a search for "mini-sharpie" Is is a simple V bow, flat bottom boat. No top deck - kinda like you are mentioning. I had built one and it was pretty nice.

http://www.simplicityboats.com/minisharpie.html

Any short boat is gonna wobble some with a paddle. Just the nature of the beast - that's why most kayaks are long and narrow.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Re: second boat recomendations

Postby hobbsj » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:08 am

Thanks for the idea. Now I'm thinking of selling the prototype and just building a canoe. I saw some stitch and glue made from 2 pieces of plywood. I think I will prefer the tracking. Thanks for the info.

On another note, anybody try any of those quick stitch and glue boats? Any success?
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds