Standard Go-Devil on 20" Transom Boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Standard Go-Devil on 20" Transom Boat?

Postby Chet » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:28 pm

I have a 25 HP Go-Devil on a 18x38 Go-Devil boat. I am going to buy a 18x60 boat to use when I need to haul extra decoys. I would like to use the same motor on both boats for a year. I know it will not be optimum, but will it work on the taller transom?

Best,

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Re: Standard Go-Devil on 20" Transom Boat?

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:45 am

with out going into the trig and the physics there of, yes it will work, sorta. Can you remember when you were walking and with out any boat? There will be some who will be naysayers about the combination. You couldn't water ski with that combo but you will get your decoy load out there. Have fun!

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby Chet » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks Mark, that's good to know. Most of the runs the new boat will make will be a few hundred yards (getting my layout rig into Unit 1 at FB for example) so being a little slow won't really matter.

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:07 am

I've got the slowest duck boat in the world...5-6 mph tops. But, it's lots faster than I can wade!
radfordc
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:40 am

my neighbors son sets up out there some in a Kara he and his dad built. He is 14 and just the funnest young hunter. Don't run into him in the fog of the morning. They set up toward the south end.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby Chet » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:21 am

I will keep an eye out for them.

I checked out your website. Do you make a motor larger than a 25? I have always ran Go-Devils, but I would like to buy a local product of possible.

Chet
Chet
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:34 pm

A longtail prefers a long narrow boat with a 16" transom. Unless you have a tell transome motor. The angle of entry into the water will affect performance and speed. But if you aren't worried about speed and only have to go a short distance it will definitely work. You could always cut down the center of the transom to 16" and regain your performance as far as transom height goes but that's still a wide boat.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby Chet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks for the help guys. I could go with a surface drive down the road on the wider boat.

Chet
Chet
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds