Motor question?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Motor question?

Postby rookiey1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:22 pm

I have a 25 h.p. Johnson on a 16 ft boat and every once in awhile when traveling wide open it will rev real high and stop going as if the prop fell off if I let off the throttle for a second it will work again almost as if it is sucking air. Anybody ever have this happen or any ideas as to what the problem is ?
rookiey1
hunter

Re: Motor question?

Postby z51 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Try moving the trim pin position and see if that helps.
z51
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:58 am

When you get a chance, a drain a little oil from the lower unit and see if any water comes out.

It's possible you have a slight water leak in a seal and are getting small amounts of water over time to cause slipping.

If that's not the case then your motor may be mounted too high or trimmed too high.

Keep us updated.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby Smith » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Your propeller probably has a pressed-in rubber hub that is supposed to slip under extreme load, similar to the function of a shear pin. These hubs can lose their compressive force and start slipping even under normal loads. If that is the case here, an outboard shop or a propeller shop can press a new hub in for you. Last time I had it done, it wasn't expensive.
Smith
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Mark the prop and inner hub with a punch. Run it till it slips and see if the marks still line up.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Boatman wrote:Mark the prop and inner hub with a punch. Run it till it slips and see if the marks still line up.

This. Sounds like a spun hub to me too.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby rookiey1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks everyone, think I'll try marking hub and prop first then working my through the suggestion's until I figure it out. I'll post result....
rookiey1
hunter

Postby sureshot 612 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:19 pm

let me guess you have a 16 ft boat and the prop pops out of the water . i have a 30hp even. it does the same thing lower the motor down with the trim pin ,i need to set mine on the 2nd one up. on 3 it won't run right .
OCT. 25TH LET THE PUBLIC FUN BEGIN
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 pm

T Man wrote:
Boatman wrote:Mark the prop and inner hub with a punch. Run it till it slips and see if the marks still line up.

This. Sounds like a spun hub to me too.

Shouted from the bottom of a well

This or possibly cavitation
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Smith wrote:Your propeller probably has a pressed-in rubber hub that is supposed to slip under extreme load, similar to the function of a shear pin. These hubs can lose their compressive force and start slipping even under normal loads. If that is the case here, an outboard shop or a propeller shop can press a new hub in for you. Last time I had it done, it wasn't expensive.

X2
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Hubs are not supposed to slip under extreme load , the rubber hub is a fail safe for hitting obsacles to keep you from breaking a prop shaft. Once that has been done it will never hold it's bite correctly again and needs to be rehubbed.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby brock2013 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I have the same motor and mine was doing the same thing when my prop was worn out. I put a new prop on it and it hasn't done it since.
brock2013
hunter

Postby Smith » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:43 am

threedogs wrote:Hubs are not supposed to slip under extreme load , the rubber hub is a fail safe for hitting obsacles to keep you from breaking a prop shaft. Once that has been done it will never hold it's bite correctly again and needs to be rehubbed.

Hitting an obstacle is exactly the sort of extreme load I was talking about. That's why I said "similar to the function of a shear pin". I don't know if slipping once ruins it or not.
Smith
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:07 pm

A lot depends on how long it was run while it was slipping before someone backed off the throttle to let it grip again. It could have worn it enough that it would slip easily on full acceleration or even at high speed if it was worn enough.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 pm

I've got a 30 horse merc that's barely two years old that was doing the same thing. It has an aluminum prop on it, and the edges were pretty gnarly. No bent blades or anything like that. Just some jagged edges. I took a file to them to smooth them out and I haven't had the problem since. Rough edges cause a lot of cavitation. After this season I want to switch to a stainless prop, but an aluminum one is more forgiving without blowing though shear pins.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:36 am

Another note to consider...

If you run the motor through weed beds and pickup enough weeds on the prop, you will experience what your describing.

This happens to me every time I launch in the river when the water is low. I simply through the motor in reverse, gun it and let the motor pop up out of the water, that usually clears all the weeds off.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds