battery time for trolling motor on layout boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

battery time for trolling motor on layout boat?

Postby buckmeister » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 pm

I have a 12 ft. 77lb Nucanoe I use to hunt out of and as a layout boat. I put a new min kota trolling motor on (40lb. thrust) and used a dual purpose Exide marine battery that is suppose to have 120 reserve minutes. After about 45 minutes of use I had to use the paddle. Should I not expect to get more time out of a battery on a trolling motor than 45 minutes?
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Re: battery time for trolling motor on layout boat?

Postby Joe fitz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:48 am

i run a minnkota 55 thrust with an ever start 12v marine battery and i can run it an hour in to my spot and an hour out of my spot. On the way back to the launch i start to feel the battery loosing power but i still make it. Thats with my boat fully loaded with deeks 2 guns 2 guys all our extra gear and ammo in marsh that the motor can handle. it still takes me a little bit to get out to some spots but it does the job i hope this info helps you out. If you havent bought a brand new battery recently i would try that first because after a season of recharging i can tell my battery is going and i need to get a new one
Joe fitz
hunter

Re: battery time for trolling motor on layout boat?

Postby Boatman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:55 am

buckmeister wrote:I have a 12 ft. 77lb Nucanoe I use to hunt out of and as a layout boat. I put a new min kota trolling motor on (40lb. thrust) and used a dual purpose Exide marine battery that is suppose to have 120 reserve minutes. After about 45 minutes of use I had to use the paddle. Should I not expect to get more time out of a battery on a trolling motor than 45 minutes?

pick up an interstate SRM 29 one of the best batteries on the planet reserve capacity 210 minutes only an inch bigger than a standard battery

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds