Breaking Lenses/Bulbs on Trailer in Ice

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Breaking Lenses/Bulbs on Trailer in Ice

Postby BurnettGunner » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45 am

So this weekend I busted some pretty good ice up at the launch to get my boat in. I had it all floating free, it was probably about 1-1/2" thick. When I backed the boat in I still managed to break both bulbs and one of the lenses on the ice chunks that were free floating in the area. Anyone have a system so this doesn't happen? I am thinking about rigging up a harness so I can remove the tail lights before going in.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Re: Breaking Lenses/Bulbs on Trailer in Ice

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:37 am

Install stalk guide-ons that attach to the trailer and mount the lights on them. I did that about 15 years ago after I got tired of replacing tail lights that claimed they were submersible but would rust and corrode from the brackish water I launced in. I just drilled a couple of holes in the galvanized stalk, mouned a plate and drilled holes to accept the tail lights, ran my wiring up the stalks and connected the lights. Have not had to replace a tail light since. Also makes the tail lights much more visible at night to folks behind you while trailering.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Re: Breaking Lenses/Bulbs on Trailer in Ice

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:44 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Install stalk guide-ons that attach to the trailer and mount the lights on them. I did that about 15 years ago after I got tired of replacing tail lights that claimed they were submersible but would rust and corrode from the brackish water I launced in. I just drilled a couple of holes in the galvanized stalk, mouned a plate and drilled holes to accept the tail lights, ran my wiring up the stalks and connected the lights. Have not had to replace a tail light since. Also makes the tail lights much more visible at night to folks behind you while trailering.

I did this with some stop/tail/turn LED bars and never looked back.
shadowwalker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds