just bought a boat!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

just bought a boat!

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm

so i just bought a 14' Jon boat with a 10hp Honda outboard motor on it. im pretty stoked about getting it out at some point, i don't know if ill be able too until spring. im fairly new to the boating thing. just wondering some tips and stuff that most people wouldn't maybe think of when they get a boat or when they first take it out?
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Re: just bought a boat!

Postby T Man » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:13 pm

The middle of winter isn't the time to learn about boating.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby blackrock » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:17 pm

First, make sure you have the right safety equipment. At least the minimum required life jacket per person, and a throwable. I usually bring a spare or two. Signaling devices, cell phone etc.Let someone know where you are going. I too live in Idaho, and cold water and stormy weather are things to be aware of. The best duck hunting sees to be when it's stormy, but remember Jon boats don't do as well as deep v hulls in waves and big open water. Check the forecast. If you are an inexperienced boater, I would go with some guys that have experience at first. Remember you can't swim in waders! My first Jon was a 14 foot with a jet and it was awesome, but not much freeboard when loaded. I now have an 18 foot, but still don't want to be out on the reservoir in 25-40 mph winds, which can gust up pretty quick over here. It should be a good boat for some stretches of the Snake River, but remember its usually shallow, so a lot of people run jets. Before I had a jet, I still went, just have to learn the river and be careful. You might put a device like a River runner skeg protector on it. Have fun and be safe!
blackrock
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:02 am

There is only one way to find out! Get that as long as it holds water you should be fine. You can test the motor before you go out with a motor flusher that you hook up to a garden hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds