Raffia boat blind problems

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Raffia boat blind problems

Postby berettaarms92 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Hey everyone I recently finished my new blind on my 1652 g3 side console and I have a problem. I cant for the life of me figure out the best way to fold the blind down when I am running to and from my spot. It's to dark totake pictures tonight so I will try to explain my problem. I have tried wrapping the tarp and raffia around the port side upper support of the blind but it is just so bulky. I then just tried moving the tarp from it's outside of the boat position to just laying in the bottom while moving. This worked on the port but not the starboard side because of the console and the control box. So at this point I have exhausted all my ideas and am almost pissed. :mad: Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will try to take pictures tomorrow since I'm sure my explanation was clear as mud. :help:

Thanks in advance,

Jacob
berettaarms92
hunter

Re: Raffia boat blind problems

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:42 pm

what I did on my boat is put backing material behind the grass, its a tougher canvas almost. then i attached one end to the blind frame, and the other to the boat with eyelets and zipties. Im not sure if your blind is a scissor type but when I let the blind down the grass bunches towards the inside of the boat tucked in with the backing material
Rhock19
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I just roll mine up and attach it to the top rail of the blind with bungee cords. I will try to get some pictures of the blind down this weekend.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby weekendhunter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Here is for what it's worth. I put a Avery quick set blind on my War Eagle 16 ft boat. I bought a couple boxes of Avery killer weed and made bundles to attach to the blind. Sometimes it was strand by strand because the stuff gets tangled up but in the end it looked very nice. I wrapped the cover and grass around the frame like the directions said and even bought extra bungies and straps to tie it down because it is kind of bulky. Took it out on the road and of course some of the grass and camo cover was coming loose. So, plan B. I bought an inexpensive boat cover (on sale at Cabelas), got rid of the bungies and straps and the cover keeps everything in it's place and ready to set up quickly when I get to the ramp. I can put all my decoys and other stuff in the boat and not worry about it bouncing out on the way. I usually hunt by myself unfortunately and the only drawback to this is trying to put the cover back on by myself in strong winds. Just make sure the cover fits snug and isn't flapping around. I'm sure I'll make changes before next year but it solved the blind getting tore up on the way to the lake. I'm trying to talk myself into a trip to Arkansas and then I'll really put this to the test. Good Luck!
weekendhunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds