Kayaks and canoes for duck hunting?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Kayaks and canoes for duck hunting?

Postby kevinmoreau » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:18 pm

hey guys, new to the forums... : :grooving:
im 15 years old and next year i will be able to go hunting on my own...we let our cousin use our boat to go hunting in, so the only time i even get to go is when he takes me......
but i have a kayak and a canoe and i want to try hunting out of them... have any of you had any experience with hunting out of them?
kevinmoreau
hunter

Re: Kayaks and canoes for duck hunting?

Postby jscheirer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:29 pm

I personally don't have experience hunting out of one, but I do have a few suggestions:

1) It would probably be best to use the canoe, unless you are hunting very small water and you can get away with the kayak. Duck hunting requires a fair amount of gear and weighing down either one could be very bad. So be careful with weight requirements and wear a life jacket.

2) when shooting, stay as low as possible in either one. In the canoe, maybe sit on the floor and use the seat of the canoe to lean against. This would also make an extremely low profile blind.

Let me know how it goes but be very safe when using either one of these, especially if you are in a cold environment.
jscheirer
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 pm

I have a canoe I use to hunt the river and small creeks with when it's too shallow my jon boat. They work great, you'll be able to carry a lot more decoys/gear with the canoe than the kayak. Only bad thing is there tippy, so be careful who you bring cause some people suck at canoes and will get you both wet.

If it's really cold make sure you bring a dry bag with extra gloves and coat in case you get wet, cause you ain't getting anywhere fast to dry off.

I wouldn't try hunting out of it, just beach it and cover it in some camo netting and lay a few limbs over it to break it up.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby kevinmoreau » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:53 am

yeah the only thing i was worried about would be if it were to flip....... thanks
kevinmoreau
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:06 am

Don't hunt out of it. Build you a couple of blinds where you like to hunt, take the canoe in where your hunting, beach it and conceal it a couple hundred yards away and hunt out of the blind. Don't hunt out of it, there's really no advantages to doing so.
dgram36
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:14 am

Canoes are submarines without a top deck. :wink:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:45 am

Yes, I have done both and prefer a kayak, as they way you sit in them, makes them more stable and easier to paddle.

This is my Commander 120 we use for river fishing and hunting Flat Water

Now, I don't really recommend hunting alone, in a kayak much. Where are you hunting? Pond? easy place to get out if you get wet?

When hunting out of one get a lifevest made for summer with mesh on the shoulder. make sure you can wear it under your coat and shoulder a gun with it on and NEVER take it off while out. The kayakers rule is if the air and water temps do not equal 120 when added (air + water) you need to have waders and a life vest on at all times! The life vest acts like a wader belt and helps keep you from being under long and keeps water out mostly.

I am also going to probably buy a Ride 135 and make a blind for it next year so the dog can tag along and the water she brings in will drain right out.

Here is how I made a blind for my Commander 120 that we use like layout boats.
http://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/waterfowl-blind-for-a-commander-kayak/

I love hunting and fishing in my kayak, but I take extra precautions and don't normally do it alone!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berudd » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:27 pm

I think it sounds like a great idea but since you mentioned you are going alone make sure you wear a good PFD and never take if off while you are on the water. Stay safe and have fun.
berudd
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:11 pm

I use a kayak for hunting quite a bit. I only use it for transportation to the blind though, I don't shoot out of it.

Like everyone else has said, be smart, only take it on flat water and in places you feel comfortable. Always wear a life vest and have a plan for what you'll do should you go in ahead of time.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 pm

How much gear can you carry in a kayak? How heavy is yours?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Mine, shown, weight about 65 pounds and I can carry it by the gunwal on my shoulder. I carry two bags of decoys bungeed to the top, my blind, gun, blind bag. We also usually hunt in groups so I most times just carry one decoy bag.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MichaelT » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:05 pm

I have just started using a kayak to hunt with, I load it in the front of my boat and get close to where I'm hunting then put in the kayak. It is red so I had to camo it. It's an emotion comet 8ft that I won from Budweiser. To camo it I took a camo burlap and some military netting and some raffia grass. Yesterday I had a dozen decoys strapped to it, blind bag behind the seat, and gun laying inside parallel to my legs. I haven't hunted out if it yet, just get out and hide in some brush but tomorrow I think I might try and hunt out of it. Here's a pic of me sitting in it before I put the grass on it and one after.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387224282.476235.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387224303.325555.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387224325.392359.jpg
MichaelT
hunter

Postby kevinmoreau » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 pm

my kayak is a 8 or 9 ft pelican something or other.....i only weigh 130 and my dad has gone in it and he weighs over 200..... so im not worried about my gear.... Mines already green but still needs camo....the only time that i would use it would be when i decide to go by myself or with one other person which i dont usually do.....
kevinmoreau
hunter

Postby kevinmoreau » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 pm

I like what you did with yours MichalT.....i wanted to do something like that........ive seen kayak and canoe stabilizers and i wonder if that would give me a little more insurance on the tipping over factor
kevinmoreau
hunter

Postby MichaelT » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Yeah I thought about making some sort of stabilizer for if i decide to hunt out of it, I can already see myself swinging on a bird and getting off balance and going for a swim. I took it out Tuesday and intended to hunt out of it but instead I just pulled it up under some trees and got out and hunted
MichaelT
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Has anyone tried to float hunt rivers with them? I have access to three kayaks and just so happen my group consist of three people. We were kicking around float hunting but were very worried about shooting out of them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:19 am

vincentpa wrote:How much gear can you carry in a kayak? How heavy is yours?

I can fit myself, my gun, my blind bag and maybe 10 decoys in and on my kayak. I could probably figure out a way to hold more decoys, but there are three of us so together we are able to take out what we need without too much difficulty.

As for weight, I believe mine is somewhere around 50 pounds.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds