aluminum layout

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

aluminum layout

Postby BuckCreek » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Guys that have layout boats or have made one. I have a buddy that works in a machine shop and has access to aluminum at around cost. Would you guys see any issues of making a welded aluminum layout boat with foam inside for flotation. I wouldnt use one much but would like to have one when divers show up.
BuckCreek
hunter

Re: aluminum layout

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Lake Bonneville used to make one, not anymore. It looked pretty nice. The main issue I can see is it would probably have more square angles, rather than smooth rounded diminishing curves like the best modern layout boat designs do. That's what makes them really low profile and blend in to the water. That being said, some guys shoot a lot of divers out of higher and square boats. If you are using it with camo in a marsh, it wouldn't matter. It would be loud in the waves and cold to lay in though........, if you could do it cheap though, I'd try it.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 pm

i think a wood and glass boat will still be cheaper even at cost. 4x8 sheet of 5086 is going for 195 in my area, so at cost maybe around 150ish? Would need at least two sheets for an 8ft boat. plus structurals on the inside. add your welding gas, wire/rod, consumables, sanding discs, etc. your looking at darn near 500 bucks before it floats. and a cold boat!!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Clyde built an aluminum layout boat a few years ago. It was really well done and a great looking boat
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby BuckCreek » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 pm

In our area noone uses them. One other group has one that is to high profile to shoot mlrds they say. I really want to try shooti ng mallards and canadas if possible out of it. Alot of birds fly restricted area id like to be 200ydswhere out from them. I do see what you mean about not having curves. I dont mind paying 500 a lake bonneville to my door would be around 2000cost and as little as i may use it be hard to pay. No marshes here be in 10ft water in middle of decent size lakes. Thanks for input im a bank hunter for now got 20ft jon to get boat out
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 pm

image.jpg
Buck, if you want to shoot Mallards and Canada's regularly out of a layout boat, you will need a very low profile quality layout boat. See my other posts, proving it can be done! Bear in mind though that just like other techniques, they can't all be shot. The most vulnerable birds or flocks are those flying low over open water. The high ones just look down and see a guy laying in a boat! It helps to wear gray clothes. The exception to that is using a camo cover with doors by ice flows or weeds, deadly. Another thing to remember is that layout hunting is a group endeavor. You need at least two guys, my son and I do it. Better is to have at least 3 guys, so two can be in the tender boat for safety and getting the work done. This means that you could share the cost of getting a boat with the other guys that will benefit from it, family or trusted friends. Just an idea, split the cost?
blackrock
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:27 pm

The last thing I'd want is to tend an aluminum layout. No interested in having an aluminum layout bouncing off the tender as you swap hunters.

I believe Duckwater now makes an aluminum layout also.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Blackrock your other posts and pics are what intrigued me to try layout for puddlers and geese. I hunt 4-5 guys daily but im just type of person i dont like split costs would just rather buy it myself good idea though. If a guy had doors and covered boat in decoys would that help keep the birds from flaring. This isnt something id do alot maybe 5-10 days a season just like to have option to put it out while other guys from group are hunting nearby.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 pm

I think it's a great idea for you to try it. It's another tool in your arsenal. The days when the birds come right in like that are days I won't soon forget!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:26 pm

BuckCreek wrote:Blackrock your other posts and pics are what intrigued me to try layout for puddlers and geese. I hunt 4-5 guys daily but im just type of person i dont like split costs would just rather buy it myself good idea though. If a guy had doors and covered boat in decoys would that help keep the birds from flaring. This isnt something id do alot maybe 5-10 days a season just like to have option to put it out while other guys from group are hunting nearby.

Yes decoy magnets help....once you have some success out of a layout boat I doubt you will hunt shoreline much afterwards.....atleast I don't. It's truly a different world out there, there isn't anything for the birds to be nervous of as you find by hunting some type of bank/blinds.

Divers are easy to get on. Puddle ducks and geese you will want to find a spot where the birds like to raft. Pay attention the the way the birds are leaving and try to set up somewhere where they are naturally flying low regularly......then smash them!

This season I added a second Bonnie to my spread as I usually hunt 3 guys. All I can say is it has completely changed the way I hunt!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 am

Thanks nelli for info. The guy I was going to have build boat went hunting with me and we shot 23 divers (4 guys) off the shore. After he saw all the ones landing in the middle he was super motivated to start building. Going to be a good summer project.
BuckCreek
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds