how big of a boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

how big of a boat?

Postby hardhead_productions » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:23 pm

im in need of a boat to hunt everywhere with. im thinking about a 14 or 15ft. what do yall think?
hardhead_productions
hunter

Re: how big of a boat?

Postby UpSouth811 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Get u a 16 to 18 ft boat. Go bigger than what you think you need bc once u get it you'll want bigger. I got a 20ft and sometimes wish I had bigger
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I have a 14 foot tracker grizzly. For one or two guys its awesome. I can launch and load it no problem by myself and it hides very easy. I have gotten out of it and pushed it through 4-6 inches of water. I can put three and my dog in it but it gets cramped. I have also had it in some fairly choppy water no problem. If you are wanting to hunt more than 2 all the time and rough water I would suggest a 17-18 footer.

My grandpa has a 20 foot tracker and I hate the boat. Its great for a big load or rough water but its like a damn sail boat in the wind. Just seems it is too big some times.
t_baker
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 pm

hardhead_productions wrote:im in need of a boat to hunt everywhere with. im thinking about a 14 or 15ft. what do yall think?

Everywhere? No such boat exists.
For instance: a boat suitable for Kansas cattail marshes will be completely unsuitable for hunting sea ducks in Maine.
Heck, the best boat for Kansas cattail marshes could very often be dangerous in Kansas reservoirs.

You need to be a bit more specific. Even then, upsouth is dead right with his advice.
An 18 footer, while not being ideal for every use, should get you home safely from 90% of the places duck hunters go....if you use your head and are careful to a fault.

Choosing a boat means considering lots of factors, such as:
your budget
want new or can you accept used
conditions where you will be using it
launching conditions where used
what kind of power (if any) will you be using
number of people being carried
amount of gear, dogs, etc. being carried
tow vehicle capabilities
use the boat will be put to (layout tender? layout blind? transportation only to hunting area?)

As is stated, your question cannot be answered.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds