The layout chair

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: The layout chair

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 pm

eagles2069 wrote:So I have been following the thread and I have a couple questions now that you used it for the first time. First off it did you feel safe? Did you flare any birds? Was shooting out of it difficult?

It's a cool idea and thank you for sharing.

Eagles,

Let me start by saying this was most definitely a "can I do this" then a marketing project. So... We rushed into it without really putting much testing into it.

So as for safety. Absolutely, 110%, no doubts safe. Imagine being in a shark cage (if you've ever been) you have so many cross members around you for support, so no part of your body is "open". Also, the pontoons, I purposely tried to sink them by laying on them... Not only do they not sink, but they don't hold water at all. I weigh 185.

They only flaring of birds were when I swung on them with the gun, period.

Shooting was pretty difficult, you had to put a lot more thought into your spread as for where the birds wanted to work in at.

The cons were... I need to build some stir ups for it. My feet floated up in it while under water.

And bulk. I have a idea using dog chain which will allow the whole rig to pancake inside each other. So it's only going to be as big as the two pontoons.

It's pretty neat, not sure it's any practical then a layout or the muskrat blind mentioned above. But! I can tell you I was SUPER comfortable, and was able to look all around me. I could move it easily with a trolling motor or moving the anchors. Overall a neat experience, but needs some fine tuning. I was in about 12' of water there.

Hope this answers some questions yall have.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Awesome man thanks :thumbsup:
eagles2069
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:19 pm

That's thinking way outside the box! I would be worried about dropping my gun or gear overboard. Might have to tie your gun to the frame with a lanyard so you don't lose it overboard. Can you paddle that around? Glad it's working out for you guys!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby marktank » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm

I think that would be illegal in my state cause you can stand up on it below the water line. Sink box. pretty sure the fun police would nab me for that one at least in my parts.
marktank
hunter

Postby duckr68 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:55 pm

definitely not legal in Wisconsin......
duckr68
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Feel free for future posts to not let me know whether or not it's legal in your state... Thanks.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:07 pm

I would think it passes the legal definition of a sink box from the feds standpoint....because you are in water!!

it certainly looks uncomfortable and damp.....your waders best hold water 100%..

I like the idea of standing to shoot, over sitting up to shoot, other wise I think in the long run Id prefer to be in some form of a boat..

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:22 pm

toolmaker wrote:I would think it passes the legal definition of a sink box from the feds standpoint....because you are in water!!
it certainly looks uncomfortable and damp.....your waders best hold water 100%..
I like the idea of standing to shoot, over sitting up to shoot, other wise I think in the long run Id prefer to be in some form of a boat..
the tool

What about those inner tube looking things that were out for a while??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
toolmaker wrote:I would think it passes the legal definition of a sink box from the feds standpoint....because you are in water!!
the tool

What about those inner tube looking things that were out for a while??

who is having SUCH a hard time shooting ducks, they need to go to extremes like that??
Id rather sit in my boat or on land and hammer away, and as long as that is productive, Ill never be found sitting in water....

must be tough hunting in places you need that kind of extra advantage....seems a true layout would work just as well.....it has for 75 years all over America.....

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Like I've said in my other posts.... It really doesn't have any other value over a layout other then I'm not out 1k, and the satisfaction and fun of building it.

I'm not saying it's better or the "best" thing out. I was just simply sharing.

And yes it's a "wet" deal... Most people around my area that try and hunt ducks out of the boat... Do just that... Try...

Imo, waterfowl was meant to be some way some form involved with being in the water, just my opinion. Call me crazy, but yes my waders are in fact 100% waterproof.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:30 pm

hope i didnt sound like I was putting you down.....we all strain our brain to get what need done and many times we need to do it on the cheap or make it homemade.,...good luck

you got a redhead, I didnt get one this year, so you are up on me

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 pm

toolmaker wrote:hope i didnt sound like I was putting you down.....we all strain our brain to get what need done and many times we need to do it on the cheap or make it homemade.,...good luck

you got a redhead, I didnt get one this year, so you are up on me

the tool

Lol, heck no! Your good.

Believe me, when it was done and we tried it.... We were like....

"Man a layout would be so much easier" Lmao.

It was just something to tinker with, no offense taken at all. It's open for all comments, good or bad.

Thanks for your opinion.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Very cool idea bro, if they let us shoot duck's in july on LI that would be badass for broadbill in open water. I hope the gator's and bull sharks start fighting over who will get to you first and never actually make it to you. :beer:
KRB
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:17 pm

KRB wrote:Very cool idea bro, if they let us shoot duck's in july on LI that would be badass for broadbill in open water. I hope the gator's and bull sharks start fighting over who will get to you first and never actually make it to you. :beer:

Lol.

True hatin.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Have you found a way to make ducks ? If so please send them to Arizona....
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds