Unloading boat help

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Unloading boat help

Postby Snyder10 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I have a 1870 express with a 90hp motor and its a pretty heavy boat. Me and a buddy hunted backwater last weekend and had the boat and trailer backed in to where the water was boat an 1" over the bunks and half way up my back bumper. We couldn't push it off and motor wouldn't pull it off. What can I put on bunks or do to get boat off trailer easier incase I'm hunting by myself ?
Snyder10
hunter

Re: Unloading boat help

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:21 pm

It occurred to me that mabey the boat was still strapped to the bunks. My boat it heavy and the bunks are carpeted and the boat slides off fairly easily. Just a thought.

Mark
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby coloradowalt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 am

You could replace with these
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Roller-Bunks/737282.uts

With any easy off system be careful. Don't remove bow restraint until in the water. I have seen a couple of boats unloaded on the ramp.
coloradowalt
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 am

One thing and one thing only....

GATORGLIDE

www.gatorglide.com
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:24 am

radfordc
hunter

Postby captmikeoutdoors » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 am

IF you had 1'' water on bunks, some reason it it sticking to bunks, carpet slick, slick boards will help, but you want the bow up, boat may be too flat on trailer, sometimes raising the hitch height will help.
captmikeoutdoors
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04 pm

x2 on gatorglide! just dont unhook the boat while backing in
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Take and lower you bunks so that the rollers are supporting the weight. For the most part that's what you want but you don't want the bunks so low the your boat is rocking. I have a 16 foot fiberglass boat with a false floor and foamed. I launch it at my house with tires not in the water. The trick to this is the rollers and locking the the winch up at a predetermined point so the boat won't just roll off fast and take on water after the tipping point. Another tip is to replace the bunks with small boards. Less contact area, less friction. On some trailers you can even lower all of the the bunks and rollers so it can sit lower and launch at shallower water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:53 pm

On your bunks add treaks lumberon top of bunks your boat will slidelike butter
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby Snyder10 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:30 pm

by Mark F. Cheney ยป Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:21 pm
It occurred to me that mabey the boat was still strapped to the bunks. My boat it heavy and the bunks are carpeted and the boat slides off fairly easily. Just a thought.

Mark
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
[/quote]

Not trying to be a smartass but my buddy and me aren't Dumbass's We took them off and it still would. Two other guys showed up and they was amazed by it
Snyder10
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm

There are several options from "bunk slicks" to spraying your carpeted bunks silicone based sprays to using rollers.

I think if I understand what you are saying is that you were launching in the back woods and not on a normal boat ramp. It sounds like the slope of the land and shore was too shallow and the reason the end of your truck was nearly underwater as you had to back farther in to try and get your trailer deeper.

You also state that it is a heavy boat and that your bunks were 1" under the water, well does your boat float in 1" of water? I'm guessing it is likely around 3" or so therefore the trailer is not deep enough yet at only 1" under... Need to go deeper.

If I was in your situation I would look to see if you can tilt the back end of your bunks down any and for that matter lowering all of the bunk down some would help you as well. Second. I'd look at the silicone sprays such as "liquid rollers". Go to a normal ramp and put your boat in the water (go hunt or fish), let the carpet dry then spray them with this stuff. WARNING!!!! from now on the bunks will be slicker than a greased hog so when you go to a normal ramp KEEP THE FRONT HOOK ATTACHED TO THE BOAT until the boat is in the water. If you don't you could be looking at a big repair bill when it slides off, your motor impacts the concrete and hull slides down the ramp. There are numerous stories of this happening. The spray is usually good for 2-3 months of use.
tod0987
hunter

Postby yz450f » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

If Liquid Roller spray is used the boat will come off the bunks. Like others said do not unhook the boat until it is in the water. I know a dealer that dropped a much larger boat in the yard because the boat slide off the trailer.

I would also check the position of the bunks compared to the ribs on the boat. I have seen bunks set so they fit tight against the ribs of the boat. The boat kind of gets wedged on the trailer. Make sure when one rib is against a bunk there is a gap by the other rib.

fyi - I no longer use the spray becasue it makes loading difficult when alone. Everytime I pulled onto the trailer the boat would slide nearly off before I could get it hooked.
yz450f
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Change the bottom bunks to trex decking material. Put the ribbed side up. Boat should slide off much easier. Rollers are the best option. I have rollers on the duck boat and Rex on the jet river boat.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 pm

I had the same issue. I bought a large cutting board at Walmart, cut it into strips and screwed it down with counter sank screws.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 am

WSUWESTON wrote:I had the same issue. I bought a large cutting board at Walmart, cut it into strips and screwed it down with counter sank screws.

This or you can buy slick material made for this situation at cabelas. Your boat will slide off a lot easier. Make you you don't unhook it from the trailer until you are in the water....I've seen guys drop them on the ramp before.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 am

Try working out 3 times a week or get a smaller boat .... :biggrin:
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:09 am

Frozen to the bunks perhaps? Not knowing where you're located....

O2Fsh
In a marsh NOWHERE near your spot
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby Swanny » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am

Must have really been on there if the 90 couldn't pull it off. My boat has frozen to the bunks and it was hard to move until it soaked for a few minutes to break it up.
Swanny
hunter

Postby ed m » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 pm

when taking a boat off the trailer to block it up for the winter, i let out about 6' of strap, go in reverse and slam the brakes on, the boat should be hanging 6' further back at this point and easier to unload
ed m
hunter

Postby Boatman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 am

Back it in the water a little further. :lol3: Bunk slides as everyone said is your friend.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Jackknife it into the road ditch.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm

You can also try backing down and when you get far enough into the water, hit the brakes real hard and it will slide off.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:28 am

Snyder10 wrote:
It occurred to me that mabey the boat was still strapped to the bunks.
Mark

Not trying to be a smartass but my buddy and me aren't Dumbass's We took them off and it still would.

Doesn't take a dumbass to forget to remove a tiedown. I've seen some very intelligent hunters miss one on occasion.....

Early in the morning, dark, half-asleep, in a hurry, mind occupied with the morning's hunt......it happens.

To the OP's problem; sometimes you can't launch where you'd like. :thumbsup: Maybe not being able to launch was a blessing in disguise: did you think about trying to get the boat BACK on the trailer?? :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Swanny » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 am

Mudpack, that was my first thought, getting the boat back on
Swanny
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 am

by yourself rollers or slick bunks can make it a pain to get back on. You have let out the winch line a ways and get up close enough to hook on then just winch the boat on. That is if your by yourself with two it's not so bad just have someone else up front to hook the boat on.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds