Floor in a jon boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Floor in a jon boat

Postby - Andy - » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Im tired of tripping and twisting ankles in the ribs of my jon boat. I have a 648 War Eagle. Tiller drive but has a side console like box and a gun box, both of which I can remove simply.

I don't want it to be super loud or super heavy... was thinking about wood, but my boat is kept outside and I'm worried about rot. I don't weld nor know anyone who does. I am pretty good with fiberglass and west system.

So my two biggest questions:

1) Whats the best way to level the floor out? Is there some sort of form I can lay inside the ribs to make it level for a floor install?

2) Should I use rivets on aluminum or wood for the actual floor? Thanks
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Re: Floor in a jon boat

Postby Swanny » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:11 pm

If I were to do one, I'd consider this. Light weight would be the biggest plus, as I wouldn't want to add any more weight than I had to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0PpypzsvjU
Swanny
hunter

Postby Silverback4jack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Swanny wrote:If I were to do one, I'd consider this. Light weight would be the biggest plus, as I wouldn't want to add any more weight than I had to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0PpypzsvjU

That is a brilliant idea!
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby Swanny » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:33 pm

I thought so too! I've had that video saved for a month, waiting to get my new boat.
Swanny
hunter

Postby Lane » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:24 pm

I do the foam part and then cover with 4 or 5mm ply encapsulated in 6 oz cloth and epoxy.Couple rivets @ each rib holds it down. MUCH lighter than the rubber mat he has in the vid
Lane
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 am

Swanny wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0PpypzsvjU

that's a great way to do a floor for cheap. it would get slicker than S with ice though, and the black would scorch you in the summertime.

i did .090 aluminum on the floor of mine with foam underneath and hydroturf on top. floor was riveted down to ribs. a 5'x10' sheet cost me about $110 and i did most of my boat with one sheet and have extra from the second sheet for future projects. if you have a 1648 you could do it with a 4x8 sheet or two which were even cheaper. never have to worry about rust or rot. hydroturf isnt cheap, but it's probably the best thing i've added to my boat for comfort. i walk on it in the summertime barefoot fishing, and the grooves keep traction in the ice.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 755 times
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 am

I used 1/4" plastic that comes in 4'x8' sheets from a place called Hog Slat. But I have one between home and work.

http://www.hogslat.com/
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 am

If your 648 WE is like mine then you don't have a truly flat bottom to work with; it angles down from the sides to the middle about 2 inches. What I did on my boat is use 1/2" marine grade plywood cut to fit tight and covered in outdoor carpet. Then I used self tapping SS screws and screwed it down tight to the ribs. It made a really smooth only slightly angled in the middle floor that is very sturdy and easy to walk on. Leaving the contour of the bottom also allows water to drain back to the plug easily.

Let me know if you want me to take some pics of mine.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:12 pm

I'd do diamond plate, you can get different color and or powder coat it in a textured finish. That stuff is very strong and will last until the boat is junk! I'd rivet it unless you run waves and or deal with ice a lot in that case I'd weld it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I'm just like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it!- Joker

I'm not a monster; I just ahead of the curve!- Joker
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:I'd do diamond plate, you can get different color and or powder coat it in a textured finish. That stuff is very strong and will last until the boat is junk! I'd rivet it unless you run waves and or deal with ice a lot in that case I'd weld it.

no way I would use diamond plate for the floor of a boat. one drop of water and you might as well have poured a gallon of astroglide on the floor of your boat.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Silverback4jack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 pm

I am lucky as the boat I am working on is an alumacraft crappie Jon. It's already floored in the bottom and have been looking to put the hydro turf on it as well. Just gotta do a bunch of measuring to make sure on how much I need for what I wanna do. You aren't joking when you say it isn't cheap. Lol
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm

http://hydroturf.com/products/Closeouts ... ts_of_Turf

check out their closeout stuff. i had already spent a ton and decided to go with the gatortrax color since it matched. but they've got gray for around $40 a sheet.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Casing » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm

JD, where did you purchase the.90 aluminum?
Casing
hunter

Postby Okranger86 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 pm

I laid foam between the ribs and built my floor out of cedar picket fence slats and stainless deck screws, covered in carpet. Built it in two sections so it would be easy to remove. At the end of duck season or when needed I can take it out, go to the carwash for a good cleaning, stand it up in the garage with a fan on it till it drys and then back in the boat. Boat stays covered so the floor is not overly exposed to the elements. Floor has lasted 4 years so far, still in good shape. Cheap to build, durable, quiet, and when I fish it is comfortable on the bare feet.
At the start I was worried about warping, but it hasn't so far.
Okranger86
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:37 am

i got my sheet aluminum at joseph fazzio in delaware. wholesale metal supply yard.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:56 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:I'd do diamond plate, you can get different color and or powder coat it in a textured finish. That stuff is very strong and will last until the boat is junk! I'd rivet it unless you run waves and or deal with ice a lot in that case I'd weld it.

no way I would use diamond plate for the floor of a boat. one drop of water and you might as well have poured a gallon of astroglide on the floor of your boat.

Any way you dice it I hands down would put a metal floor in it. Now if you don't want to get a textured finish on the metal I can see where someone would put something over top of it.

I'm just not a big wood person, just because down the road you will end up replacing it. I'd much rather put a little more money in it and and never have to touch it again.

I'm just like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it!- Joker

I'm not a monster; I just ahead of the curve!- Joker
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds