Wtb a river duck boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Wtb a river duck boat

Postby IBHC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:21 pm

I am asking for suggestions on make,size of motor and boat. No cab boats just boat with Avery quick set blind hunting off ms river. Taking any suggestions, thanks
IBHC
hunter

Re: Wtb a river duck boat

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 am

Talk to local hunters that know the conditions you hunt in to get an idea of what you should be looking for. Try posting in your state forum asking for advice on a boat design for where you hunt and how you hunt. Dont get your heart set on a boat already having a blind on it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Okie Ducker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:45 pm

There are many questions one needs the answers to concerning what boat you need. Water depth, potential wave height, number of hunters/equipment, distance to and from ramp to blind. Mud motors are great in extremely shallow water but can be very slow. Do your research. All options have pros and cons. :huh:
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby IBHC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:04 pm

I am hunting out of an f&f at the moment 1650 with a 60 tohatsu. It is not my boat, I am wanting to buy my own that is why I am asking what are your favorite boat size and motor sizes to run. I will have two maybe three others in the boat at a time. I am running bout five miles each way. War eagle? Grizzly? Weldbilt? Xpress? Just looking for suggestions on the setups others have and like.
IBHC
hunter

Postby IBHC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Outboards no mud motors
IBHC
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 pm

IBHC wrote:I am hunting out of an f&f at the moment 1650 with a 60 tohatsu. It is not my boat, I am wanting to buy my own that is why I am asking what are your favorite boat size and motor sizes to run. I will have two maybe three others in the boat at a time. I am running bout five miles each way. War eagle? Grizzly? Weldbilt? Xpress? Just looking for suggestions on the setups others have and like.

Again...talk to local hunters. They will know the local conditions much better than any of us will.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Lund. My 18 foot Alaskan is rated for 7 people.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Swanny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:31 pm

You should have a pretty good idea of size based on hunting out of that 16'. Do you want the same size or bigger based on your experience on those waters. I've been researching size as I'm upgrading from a narrow 14' and it's SO subjective to your style of hunting and area. A lot of people told me to get 18' minimum, but I hunt solo often so I got a 1652 which I think will suit me well. I hunt rivers, but they aren't very strong and will only hunt bays when the weather is right.
Swanny
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds