Should I buy this kayak?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Should I buy this kayak?

Postby codypeterson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:59 am

Im wondering if this would be a worthwhile rig.I can get it for around 50 bucks paint it up and go. I hunt ponds, rivers, and almost never lakes. This boat is 8-10foot long.

Im wondering if it can float with me @170. And 2dozen decoys,gun etc.
Where would I stow all that stuff?
Should I hold out for a sit on top?
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1389106782080.jpg
codypeterson
hunter

Re: Should I buy this kayak?

Postby sharris » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 am

For that price I'd pick it up and then test it during warm weather. If it isn't stable enough or won't hold your gear then sell it for a profit in the summer.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:59 am

pull a sled.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:23 am

Sit in's are usually not preferred for hunting. Usually they are a little more narrow and designed as a touring kayak. i.e. easier to paddle for long distances without fatigue. Fishing and hunting 'yaks are a little wider and have a more stable hull design and are usually a sit on top style. Personally I wouldnt want to be in a kayak that could potentially keep me trapped if it rolled. It is one thing to get wet in the summer, but its a whole nother ball game in the winter.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby codypeterson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 am

Those sit on tops are hard to find here everyone is selling whitewater boats. I think I'll be patient. Thanks guys

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
codypeterson
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm

T Man wrote:Sit in's are usually not preferred for hunting. Usually they are a little more narrow and designed as a touring kayak. i.e. easier to paddle for long distances without fatigue. Fishing and hunting 'yaks are a little wider and have a more stable hull design and are usually a sit on top style. Personally I wouldnt want to be in a kayak that could potentially keep me trapped if it rolled. It is one thing to get wet in the summer, but its a whole nother ball game in the winter.

Ding, winner! :yes: That is a touring kayak and is about as tipsy as they get. Its made to move fast, not be stable. Its made to paddle and concentrate on paddling, not take your eyes off you balance and shoot.

I vote NO, for that one. A normal cheap sit in side from ****'s would be a better kayak, but I am not recommending that either. :tongue:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds