Core Sound Ambusher layout questions

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am

Wondering how many of you on here use a Core Sound Ambusher. I'm thinking of ordering one this spring for next season. I looked into Lake Bonneville, MLB, UFO and Bankes layouts but Core Sound is 35 minutes from my house, which is very appealing because I won't need to pay for freight shipping and if I ever have a problem I can drive it to his shop to get fixed.

From the pictures I've seen, the CS Ambusher has a higher profile than other layout boats on the market. Has the higher profiles ever been an issue when getting birds to decoy?

How do these boats handle rough water (1-2' chop)? Does the molded splash guard do it's job and keep water from splashing over the sides?

Is there anything you would change or wish was different with your CS Ambusher?
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 am

Never seen a CS in person. However, profile is the second largest key to having a successful hunt IMHO. Second only to having birds in the area.

I don't think it's any secret that I like bonnievilles layout boats. Partly because of all the accessors that they offer to really pimp out your boat or boats in my case.

However generally speaking I think that everyone will agree for the most part that the lower you make the boats the more decoying success you will have. Simply it is harder for them to see you. Same concept as layout blinds have, a taller blind is fine in a corn field but if you are hunting a bean field you are going to want to be as low as possible....might even be digging in. Same goes for layout boats.

Idk how I like the molded spray guards. I would think in calmer weather it would kinda handicap you some as you have an extra 6" or however tall they are sticking up as apposed to being able to lay it down like most spray guards. Just my .02 so take it for what it is worth.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Re: Core Sound Ambusher layout questions

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:Never seen a CS in person. However, profile is the second largest key to having a successful hunt IMHO. Second only to having birds in the area.

I don't think it's any secret that I like bonnievilles layout boats. Partly because of all the accessors that they offer to really pimp out your boat or boats in my case.

However generally speaking I think that everyone will agree for the most part that the lower you make the boats the more decoying success you will have. Simply it is harder for them to see you. Same concept as layout blinds have, a taller blind is fine in a corn field but if you are hunting a bean field you are going to want to be as low as possible....might even be digging in. Same goes for layout boats.

Idk how I like the molded spray guards. I would think in calmer weather it would kinda handicap you some as you have an extra 6" or however tall they are sticking up as apposed to being able to lay it down like most spray guards. Just my .02 so take it for what it is worth.
X2 on all this!

blackrock
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:52 pm

I hunted out of one once. Had a great sea duck hunt. Birds decoyed right on top of me. I had my limit in about 30-40 minutes. My brother got in and took him a couple hours. It was early season and there were not a ton of birds around. Maybe once the sun came up good the birds could see it but I'm not sure.
If their shop is that close I think you would be well served to swing by and put your hands on one.
jcz
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm planning on stopping by possibly this weekend. I'm definitely gonna check their boats out since they're so close. The other boats I'm considering are the Lake Bonneville models and the UFO models. I love the LB for their super low profile and removable splash guards. Best of both worlds IMO. Lower profile on the calmer days and a splash guard for the rough days. Only downside is freight shipping costs.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Have you thought about build your own?

I built the lake erie model from waterfowl waterworks. Just put the finishing touches on it this week. The only draw back on it is the weight. Mine is heavy. I built it a little heavier than the plans hoping I can tow it.
jcz
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:16 pm

MSparks909 wrote:I'm planning on stopping by possibly this weekend. I'm definitely gonna check their boats out since they're so close. The other boats I'm considering are the Lake Bonneville models and the UFO models. I love the LB for their super low profile and removable splash guards. Best of both worlds IMO. Lower profile on the calmer days and a splash guard for the rough days. Only downside is freight shipping costs.

Just to clear up something about lbs spray guards. They now have a track system....it's great because you can swap spray guard within minutes when you wear one out. The old style will be a nightmare to do even for the guys who installed them daily. Keep in mind you will still need to seal the spray guard in with silicone or tell LBLB to go ahead and do it or you will be dripping water. I recommend canvas as it will out last the clear. Really just a personally preference. Just a heads up.

Other than that the new spray guards at full mass will be 12-13" tall. I have yet to have any water come over it and I've had mine in 3' waves.

Btw if you go that route with the LB make sure you atleast get magnets and a hard backrest in your boat......you will thank me later for it.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:22 pm

What is the best way to get in contact with LBLB? I've been trying to find out how to get in contact with Kelly. Which model do you have? I have some questions that might better be answered through a PM.

Sent you a PM Nelliboy.
MSparks909
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds