canoe painting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

canoe painting

Postby rnloutdoors » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 pm

i have an aluminum canoe. i was looking at painting for this next coming season. what i was wondering is what type of paint will stick and stay on the boat. I don't really want to stick a whole lot of money into the paint either. so any recommendations or prep tips would be great thanks.
'
rnloutdoors
hunter

Re: canoe painting

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:30 pm

rnloutdoors wrote:i have an aluminum canoe. i was looking at painting for this next coming season. what i was wondering is what type of paint will stick and stay on the boat. I don't really want to stick a whole lot of money into the paint either. so any recommendations or prep tips would be great thanks.
'

Sand it with a fine grit sandpaper 180 or 220

Wipe completely with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits

Use a self etching (sic) primer let dry sand again with very fine sandpaper

Paint with the color you want
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:41 pm

^this^
with an emphasis on the primer. I have done a few aluminum boats and primer is the key to paint job longevity on them.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:01 am

Self etching primer is a must. Follow steps above. For a canoe you can probably prime it with rattle cans from home depot - I think Rustoleum makes some. I use that for touch up work on my boat. It doesn't need to go on crazy thick. Paint over with good quality paint. I used Parkers as a base coat, and Rustoleum camo cans for the camo job through the stencils.

read through this and you can see exactly how i did mine:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=227233
j.digiacomo
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds