canoe painting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

canoe painting

Postby rnloutdoors » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 pm

i have an aluminum canoe. i was looking at painting for this next coming season. what i was wondering is what type of paint will stick and stay on the boat. I don't really want to stick a whole lot of money into the paint either. so any recommendations or prep tips would be great thanks.
'
rnloutdoors
hunter

Re: canoe painting

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:30 pm

rnloutdoors wrote:i have an aluminum canoe. i was looking at painting for this next coming season. what i was wondering is what type of paint will stick and stay on the boat. I don't really want to stick a whole lot of money into the paint either. so any recommendations or prep tips would be great thanks.
'

Sand it with a fine grit sandpaper 180 or 220

Wipe completely with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits

Use a self etching (sic) primer let dry sand again with very fine sandpaper

Paint with the color you want
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:41 pm

^this^
with an emphasis on the primer. I have done a few aluminum boats and primer is the key to paint job longevity on them.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:01 am

Self etching primer is a must. Follow steps above. For a canoe you can probably prime it with rattle cans from home depot - I think Rustoleum makes some. I use that for touch up work on my boat. It doesn't need to go on crazy thick. Paint over with good quality paint. I used Parkers as a base coat, and Rustoleum camo cans for the camo job through the stencils.

read through this and you can see exactly how i did mine:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=227233
j.digiacomo
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds