Lay out / marsh boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Lay out / marsh boat

Postby frank » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Hey everyone,
I have a 23 foot war eagle with a home made blind attached to it and it is kind of hard to pull up the anchors and go chase dead / crippled bird.
I am thinking of getting a small chase boat that is light in weight and around 9 to 10 ft to attach to the side of boat or pull it behind the trender. I have started looking at a few but would like advise from people that have used any. how they paddle if I don't put a motor on it, room and stability. I am a 250 lb guy decoys and equipment. I don't do a lot of lay out hunting maybe a couple times a year. something lighter to go get the bird and possible fish out of in small rivers or ponds. I will be hunting alone at times as well light wt and able to but in my truck bed as well when needed.

I am looking at few
1. beavertail - phantom 9', 55 lbs,
2. beavertail - final attack 8', 75 lbs.
3. beavertail - Stealth 1200 or 2000
4. carstens mallard 10', 80lbs.
5. Marsh Rat - I don't know if they make these anymore. I read they suspended production for a couple of years.
6. creek boat

. I also live in Canada near Michigan and have not found any dealers in Canada. Bass pro or cabelas are about a 45 min drive for me and they carry a few from beavertail/otter.

Thanks everyone for your help and advise and knowledge.
Last edited by frank on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank
hunter

Re: Lay out / marsh boat

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:26 pm

I've got a creek boat M98, works great. just a tad small but its been a great boat for me so far and gets around pretty good with a trolling motor. I didnt get to use it near as much as I would have liked to this season (first with it) but the times I did use it, it worked great for me and being right under 50bs I am able to throw it around by my self and get out. also I kind of rigged up a simplistic seat system for it that would work for layout/ marsh hunting, but I only got to try it once.

but If i had the $$$$ I would have got a Four rivers migrator. or a MO marsh.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

both the stealths and the final attack work better with a motor than they do with a paddle. However all of them are VERY stable, a consideration when moving from main boat to tender. You're obviously buying instead of building. There are some great plans out there that come in the 100 lbs range. Carston, Four rivers, and Momarsh all make a good product.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 am

Aquapods are great for what you are looking to do.
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Postby sparelink » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:51 am

StanwoodSpartan wrote:Aquapods are great for what you are looking to do.

I have a 10ft fiberglass pod and it is great. paddles great too.
sparelink
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 am

Aquapods are over priced for what you get. IMO

for that kind of money you can get a Four rivers or MO marsh boat that is more tailored to duck hunting, more stable, and a much better deal for the hunter because of the standard included accessories.

even if you did get the Aquapod 10ft sport boat, you can get the comparable Creekboat M98 for almost $200 less.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby O2Fsh » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Frank,

Consider using anchor floats instead of pulling your anchor(s) each time you go to retrieve. Then, you only need to throw your anchor line over the side, motor out to get the bird(s) then motor back and re-hook your anchors to continue hunting.

Mike in CT
in a marsh NOWHERE near your spot
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby cfp4sfc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm

The Final Attack doesn't paddle very well, works way better with a trolling motor. My hybrid doesn't track very well, but paddles a lot better than the final attack.
cfp4sfc
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

cfp4sfc wrote:The Final Attack doesn't paddle very well, works way better with a trolling motor. My hybrid doesn't track very well, but paddles a lot better than the final attack.

adding two parallel 3/4in tall runners on the bottom of it, if you dont have them already would really help you!

I built a kara and added the 2 runners on the bottom and I think it's only reason the dang thing tacks straight!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby frank » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 pm

thanks guys for the advise, but I should have also mentioned I really would like to stay around $600.00. Do they still make the marsh rat mag.?? I read they stopped production.
thanks guys and gals. keep the advise and knowledge coming alone with my research.
frank
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Get the creek boat, or save up some more and get a four rivers is what I'd do. I even found a used MOmarsh fatboy (not the DP) on craigslist for around $700. So I'd suggest looking on craigslist as well, after and preseason always seems to bring up a few marsh boats.

I've got about $650 in my Creekboat M98 after you count the boat's price, freight for the boat, paint, and the bungee I put around my boat.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby sparelink » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:28 pm

frank wrote:thanks guys for the advise, but I should have also mentioned I really would like to stay around $600.00. Do they still make the marsh rat mag.?? I read they stopped production.
thanks guys and gals. keep the advise and knowledge coming alone with my research.

They are still holding off production, I believe it should pick up after next hunting season but i haven't heard any update in a while
sparelink
hunter

Postby frank » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 pm

2500hdon37s , I looked at the creek boat as well I kinda like those to. chances of me really sitting in one or the other or trying it out is slim for where I live in Canada Ontario, a town across the Detroit river , Detroit, Michigan. creek boat paddling how shallow can you get into. as much info would be great. I have to consider shipping costs as well or take a vacation and drive. aqua pod I on the other side of the country a long long drive. creek boat is in Charlotte, North Carolina I think about an 8 to 12 hr drive.
frank
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Frank, A note about freight since you feel you might have to freight your boat.

Pick it up on the US side of the river. I'm sure you are aware of that.

Shop freight companies. There is often a 50 % difference between cos to the same place with the same package. Some times the freight brokers are the cheapest if you don't have a regular freight acct.

Pick it up your self from the freight dock. There is a 40 -50 $ for home delivery.

We have a marvelous freight system here. Some times it is just worth the money it costs.

Good luck

Mark
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby coulterville33 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I have a four rivers and it works perfect for what ur looking for
coulterville33
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 pm

frank wrote:2500hdon37s , I looked at the creek boat as well I kinda like those to. chances of me really sitting in one or the other or trying it out is slim for where I live in Canada Ontario, a town across the Detroit river , Detroit, Michigan. creek boat paddling how shallow can you get into. as much info would be great. I have to consider shipping costs as well or take a vacation and drive. aqua pod I on the other side of the country a long long drive. creek boat is in Charlotte, North Carolina I think about an 8 to 12 hr drive.

I've had my creek boat in about 3-4in of water while loaded with decoys, my self, gear, and trolling motor and battery and I was able to paddle through it easy. in about 6-7in of water I can run my trolling motor and it moves along nicely, even in some bigger water (a creek I've run a few times about 40-50ft wide.) and even with a head wind I was able to maintain 4mph with a 30lb thrust motor and the boat loaded full.

I'm 5'10" and I have enough room to use the boat as a layout boat if I wish, or sit in it and motor around. Even with 2-3doz decoys and all my gear I have some room. when I put out decoys and lay in the boat its quite roomy. Let me know if you would like some pictures.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby frank » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 pm

What style of creek boat do you have?
I'm 6'2" so pictures would be nice to see while your in side. I really don't even know of a dealer that is close to me for the creek boat or aqua pod to actually see them and sit in the and pick them up. I kinda narrowed it down to the creek boat M80 or M98, aqua pod, beavertail phantom. They don't make the marsh rat any more so that is out. Thanks
frank
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 pm

I got the M98 so I could use a trolling motor with it.

I was pretty sprawled sitting in the bottom of the boat for this pic, and as you can see I still have some room.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby loon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:53 pm

I think you'll be better off with just putting a float(duck decoy) on your anchor lines I have done this and it is fast and convenient just use the boathook to get the line when you come back from the cripple. I don't know if pulling a second boat along would be great unless you were tucked up against the shoreline. If you are set on using the second boat idea take a look at the old town predator kayak I have one it's very stable very fast for chasing a cripple and actually designed for shooting with a shotgun rest and a foam cut out that holds about 10 shells. I am also a fairly good size guy and I have no trouble getting in or out and again it's stable to shoot out of and fast enough to run down a wounded diver without a motor.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby frank » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 am

thank everyone for all the input. where I live in Canada and with the outrageous shipping costs these day my option are limited. in the type of boat I get. everyone has been a great deal of help for me on narrowing down to a couple of boats.
Thank guys
frank
hunter

Postby rubbernecker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:42 pm

check amazon.com I just ordered a stealth1200 for 781.00 with free shipping. that was last Friday and the boat will be here Thursday morning. the creek boats look good but Im 210lbs and im pretty sure ill be over the 300lb rating by just putting a battery and trolling motor on it. not counting everything else a duck hunter takes. waders, gun, ammo etc. the shipping for everything else put me over my budget. good luck
rubbernecker
hunter

Postby frank » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:28 pm

rubbernecker,
I have looked into the creek boat m10 and it has a wt cap. of 350lb. and the M98 with a 300lb cap. Im 250 pounds.

I also like the aquapod 10ft but not sure which one, the sport or the seeker.
There is a huge price difference from the 10ft seeker and the m10 and little and over a hundred dollar between the sport and m10.
The thing is I will not be able to sit or even see these boats until it get delivered because of where I live in Canada on the border of Detroit Michigan.
Seen picture on the internet, if I could ever find a comparison picture of the two side by side and/ or with people sitting in them on and off water that would be great or even a big guy in them. I am leaning toward the creek boat cause I heard the aquapod opening where you get in and sit is only 21 inches wide that only leaves 2" per side for my fat ***.

If any body has picture of either boat the aquapod 10 sport or seeker and the Creek boat M98 and M10 please post.

Thanks everyone
Frank
frank
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:37 pm

We hunt out of an 1860 Grizzly and anchor it bow and stern. With the blind all set up it's a real problem to get out after cripples very fast. Years ago we started towing a 11' piroque style fiberglass "cripple chaser" to pick up birds. It tows like a dream and also doubles as an extra decoy carrier. With a kayak paddle there is no problem paddling straight into a 25-30 knot wind for a couple of hundred yards or so.
Attachments
Z13.jpg
Z2.jpg
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby frank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks guys.
I found out Carstens boats is a two from where I live. adds a curve ball now.

Guy from four rivers boat and aqua pod called to talk. I like the aquapod 10 seeker or sport and four river MIGRATOR 11'. now I need to do some reading on the Carsten puddler. I don't want to go bigger then the MIGRATOR 11' which I like.

:hammer:
frank
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:34 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:

Aquapods are over priced for what you get. IMO

for that kind of money you can get a Four rivers or MO marsh boat that is more tailored to duck hunting, more stable, and a much better deal for the hunter because of the standard included accessories.

even if you did get the Aquapod 10ft sport boat, you can get the comparable Creekboat M98 for almost $200 less.

Having actually owned all those boats but the M98, your dead wrong about the pods. They are meant to be light weight and easy to pull across the coastal marsh flats. A momarsh is a good boat but when we weighed them the 50 pound difference was to much and they require a trailer. A pod can be strapped in a Toyota bed. The Pods are perfect for what they designed for, simple all around duck hunting. I also repair a lot less pods then momarshes.....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds