Kayak

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Kayak

Postby macmn3 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Im looking at buying a kayak come springtime and hope to use it for both duck hunting as well as fishing. As far as the hunting goes, I plan to mostly use it for transportation, although the ability to shoot out of it if i need to would be nice. Looking to keep cost down as much as possible as I'm on a pretty tight budget these days (hence no duck boat). Any ideas, suggestions, or experience you guys have would be appreciated
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Re: Kayak

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 pm

There is a bunch of thread son here about Kayaks. I am using the Commander 120 and probably buying a ride 135 also. Research stability on various models. You probably will need to hit Craigslist in the spring as cost seems to be your biggest factor
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Check out Creek Boats. they have fishing boats that are like a kayak/ marsh boat hybrid. Their boats were meant for hunting and fishing.

I have the M98 and its a great little boat. Its about the same price as a kayak that would be decent for hunting, and its much more stable than a kayak. And I would have no problem shooting out of it, as you could use it as a layout style boat. Not to mention creek boats has great customer service.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby macmn3 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Looks really cool, and surprisingly inexpensive. How easily does it paddle? Comparable to a flatter bottomed "beginner" type of kayak?
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Kayaks are great warm weather boats for fishing, but shooting out of them is pretty unstable. In Massachachuetts a duck hunter using a kayak disappeared, body still not yet found. Save up and get a bigger more stable hunting platform. Kayaks are good for shallow protected water that you can stand up in, when you tip over.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:31 pm

macmn3 wrote:Looks really cool, and surprisingly inexpensive. How easily does it paddle? Comparable to a flatter bottomed "beginner" type of kayak?

I dont paddle very much as I usually run my trolling motor, but it paddles pretty well I think. it has 2 inverted runners on the bottom that I think help a lot. and it does paddle easy! I can get some decent speed with just paddling even with the boat loaded. My little brother has a cheap 8ft kayak and I think if I had a kayak style paddle I could out run his boat pretty easy and mine does track a little more true than his... along with being much more stable.

I have noticed that my M98 does has a little bit of an odd hull, but it actually gets more stable with more weight I put in it, and with decoys, my self, trolling motor, battery, gun, and a few other things like my blind bag and paddle I'd guess I'm pretty close to the weight limit of 300lbs and that is when I feel it is most stable. the weight limit says 300lbs... but Creek boats smaller boat is rated at 300lbs so I think I could safely add another 25-50lbs in the boat. Even with a full load in the boat my 30lb thrust Minn Kota can push me along at 4mph.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby macmn3 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
macmn3 wrote:Looks really cool, and surprisingly inexpensive. How easily does it paddle? Comparable to a flatter bottomed "beginner" type of kayak?

I dont paddle very much as I usually run my trolling motor, but it paddles pretty well I think. it has 2 inverted runners on the bottom that I think help a lot. and it does paddle easy! I can get some decent speed with just paddling even with the boat loaded. My little brother has a cheap 8ft kayak and I think if I had a kayak style paddle I could out run his boat pretty easy and mine does track a little more true than his... along with being much more stable.

I have noticed that my M98 does has a little bit of an odd hull, but it actually gets more stable with more weight I put in it, and with decoys, my self, trolling motor, battery, gun, and a few other things like my blind bag and paddle I'd guess I'm pretty close to the weight limit of 300lbs and that is when I feel it is most stable. the weight limit says 300lbs... but Creek boats smaller boat is rated at 300lbs so I think I could safely add another 25-50lbs in the boat. Even with a full load in the boat my 30lb thrust Minn Kota can push me along at 4mph.

Thanks a bunch for all the info, very helpful. Seems like a pretty darn good option for guys on a budget (depending on what shipping costs!) and looks about perfect for the small water pothole and river hunting i do most of the time
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby rubbernecker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm

wait til the summer comes and go rent a kayak. and see if you get wet. then remember the fact that your going to be in weather and water barely or below freezing. also remember theres no wind protection. for a couple hundred dollars more. you can get a very stable layout boat. im not one of the guys that's just giving an opinion, im telling you from experience. I was where you were 2 years ago. kayak hunting can be done. but im more of a safety first kind of guy. im not putting down nor disrespecting anyone. good luck hunting and I hope this helps :thumbsup:
rubbernecker
hunter

Postby macmn3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:21 pm

rubbernecker wrote:wait til the summer comes and go rent a kayak. and see if you get wet. then remember the fact that your going to be in weather and water barely or below freezing. also remember theres no wind protection. for a couple hundred dollars more. you can get a very stable layout boat. im not one of the guys that's just giving an opinion, im telling you from experience. I was where you were 2 years ago. kayak hunting can be done. but im more of a safety first kind of guy. im not putting down nor disrespecting anyone. good luck hunting and I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Ive actually done quite a bit of kayaking in the past as my parents have a couple, but thanks for the concern. I dont plan to use it on any big water just for that safety reason. And if i were new to kayaking I would definitely take your advice and try one out before buying
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 pm

macmn3 wrote:
rubbernecker wrote:wait til the summer comes and go rent a kayak. and see if you get wet. then remember the fact that your going to be in weather and water barely or below freezing. also remember theres no wind protection. for a couple hundred dollars more. you can get a very stable layout boat. im not one of the guys that's just giving an opinion, im telling you from experience. I was where you were 2 years ago. kayak hunting can be done. but im more of a safety first kind of guy. im not putting down nor disrespecting anyone. good luck hunting and I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Ive actually done quite a bit of kayaking in the past as my parents have a couple, but thanks for the concern. I dont plan to use it on any big water just for that safety reason. And if i were new to kayaking I would definitely take your advice and try one out before buying

4Rivers guy here, do yourself a favour and try one out, just go to the website and watch the video of a guy walking around the gunwales!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:50 am

Tanner01 wrote:Kayaks are great warm weather boats for fishing, but shooting out of them is pretty unstable. In Massachachuetts a duck hunter using a kayak disappeared, body still not yet found. Save up and get a bigger more stable hunting platform. Kayaks are good for shallow protected water that you can stand up in, when you tip over.

Kayaks can be good or bad based on their design and the water they are used in. The sit in sides you find as dicks and academy are protected water boats. I have a commander for flat water hunting and I have been out fishing in my Sit on Top and taken 2' waves and in water that would flat out swamp a jon boat. I am selling my Sit on top I have now to Buy a Ride 135. You can stand up on a Ride 135 they are so stable, so anyone could shoot out of it. All kayaks are not the same, just like all boats are not. you need the proper vessel for the waters you will be in.

Ride 135 for fishing

And a guy stand up paddling and sight fishing a flats

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:29 am

I just picked up a nucanoe frontier 12 used about two weeks ago I had been thinking about buying a new one but came by a used one so I jumped on it. So far it is awesome the only way I can tip it is if I stand on the very edge and jump that will make it go. It's super stable easy to shoot from paddles well and a trolling motor pushes it well. I love being able to switch it between a one man and two man setup so easily. This weekend I used it with my buddy in a corn field that flooded that at its deepest was maybe 1.5ft most was only about a foot deep. With me 150lbs my gun waders & blind bag, and my buddy 180lbs with waders gun & blind bag the deep cycle battery and 55lb thrust trolling motor it moved along just fine while pulling the sled with the decoys. Granted it wasn't breaking a speed record but it beat the hell out of walking across the field and was super stable with two of us. I plan on making a small longtail for it using the free mud motor plans from here thats the only thing that really slowed us down or made us stop was the trolling motor just wasn't meant for going through corn stalks. With two of us paddling we could move it along pretty well pulling the sled. I tried it by myself pulling the sled and paddled along pretty well. With just me in it not pulling a sled it was pretty easy to paddle. It probably isn't as fast paddling as some true kayaks but the stability is well worth it. I plan on making a layout type blind for it to hunt out of on my own. It tracks really well too they are not cheap but as it has been said already you get what you pay for a lot of times with kayaks and the small marsh boats like four rivers and such. Look at the basspro kayaks ascend fs12t or fs128t kayaks I thought about getting the fs128t one but opted for the nucanoe since it could accomadate two people easily. For the money the fs12t or fs128t are good kayaks I was really close to getting one but really wanted to be able to take another person easily thats what made me go with the nucanoe it's really versatile and easy to configure. I'm looking forward to fishing out of my nucanoe my only complaint is the scoopers don't allow all the water to drain out so you get a little that puddles but I don't really care since I have a swivel seat that sits well above the bottom.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:07 pm

The nucanoe is not as fast as most other kayaks due to its width. That being said, its still much faster than most any other marsh boat and tracks better than them also. I considered one, but want to use it for fishing on the bay also, so that ruled out the Nucanoe for me. but it is a stable kayak.

The FS12 kayaks are not bad kayaks, but BPS has cheapened them out some. I looked at some and they made the plastic on them so thin they filled the inside for the kayak, under the seat, with spray foam. I do not recommend getting one. Yes it will work, but its not going to hand the abuse other kayaks will. If someone wants a cheaper kayak, I would recommend the Prescador line which are the old molds for the Tarpon Kayaks before they put the attachment tracks on them. Perception kayaks are owned by the same company as Wilderness Systems and just sells kayaks cheaper made in the old Wilderness molds. Academy sells them for $499 new and they can be found in Sand and camo colors.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frank » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Has anyone use a Jackson Orion 10 kayak for hunting / fishing. They kind remind resemble the aquapod 10. I know pods are the bomb from what I have been reading. trying to find something like the pod that is $1244.00 and Orion $899.00. without shipping.
frank
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

the aqua pod sport 10ft boat is only $690....

but the Creek bpat M98 is only $525

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 am

Love my nucanoe so far really stable and easy to paddle and very versatile and easy to change the setup for different situations. Used it to float a stretch of a small river this past weekend on saturday and sunday just sneaking up on small groups of ducks around bends. Had one person paddle/operate the trolling motor the other on the front shooting.
Attachments
IMG_0509.JPG
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby frank » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 am

Hey 2500hdon37s,
Ive looked into the creek boat and aquapod and recently Jackson Orion 10 kayak. One of my concerns is the cockpit openings on these boat.

Aquapod 10 seeker and explorer are 74.5 long by 21 wide ( sport is smaller at 71.5 by 21)

Jackson Orion 10 kayak, 72.5 x 22.5

creek boat all I can find is the beam width, m98 is 34" and the m10 is 36"

You have the m98, what are the dimensions of the cockpit. Im 6' 2" and pushing 260lb. those 21" and 22.5" wide dimension sound a little tight to me. I have access to sit in kayak's when I get to the store so ill know a little better on those two width. and lengths.
frank
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

frank wrote:Has anyone use a Jackson Orion 10 kayak for hunting / fishing. They kind remind resemble the aquapod 10. I know pods are the bomb from what I have been reading. trying to find something like the pod that is $1244.00 and Orion $899.00. without shipping.

The Orion is the same as their Day Tripper and basically a Sit in Side kayak with a wide opening. Its stable, you'll love the seat if you stay in it to hunt. Plus the water the dog brings in will be under you with the seat keeping you off the bottom. You should like it and it will paddle better than any marsh boat.

Everyone else on here, if you plan to paddle you boat any distance, there is a huge difference between a kayak and a marsh boat like the aquapod and creek type boats. Yes, the marsh boats are very stable, but lack qualities for paddling. My buddy and I borrowed aquapods before buying our kayaks. I called it a floating brick after the first day. They are real nice if you're only going a short distance or have a motor, but will wear your *** out under paddle power.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frank » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks Cupped-n-Committed, One concern is the cockpit opening only being 72.5" L x 22.5" W on the orion.

im6'2" pushing 255lbs that opening sounds a little tight on the wide if im wearing my hunting coat and waders.

If you have an orion please post picture of you inside sitting and lying down like a layout boat. I like the orion and it is cheaper then the aquapod and the orion is much easier for me to get which save me huge on shipping cost
frank
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I don't have one, you should look for a Jackson Kayak dealer near you and see what they have, even if you buy online.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:The nucanoe is not as fast as most other kayaks due to its width. That being said, its still much faster than most any other marsh boat and tracks better than them also. I considered one, but want to use it for fishing on the bay also, so that ruled out the Nucanoe for me. but it is a stable kayak.

The FS12 kayaks are not bad kayaks, but BPS has cheapened them out some. I looked at some and they made the plastic on them so thin they filled the inside for the kayak, under the seat, with spray foam. I do not recommend getting one. Yes it will work, but its not going to hand the abuse other kayaks will. If someone wants a cheaper kayak, I would recommend the Prescador line which are the old molds for the Tarpon Kayaks before they put the attachment tracks on them. Perception kayaks are owned by the same company as Wilderness Systems and just sells kayaks cheaper made in the old Wilderness molds. Academy sells them for $499 new and they can be found in Sand and camo colors.

I've been lurking and reading up on kayaks for a few weeks and based on your suggestion I looked in to Perception. The reviews are outstanding and $499 is a great price, even with shipping from Academy. I ordered one today. Thank you for the heads up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby frank » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:10 am

playing around last night and came across a KC KAYAK any idea on this? I like how to has lot of room for what I use it for.
frank
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 pm

frank wrote:playing around last night and came across a KC KAYAK any idea on this? I like how to has lot of room for what I use it for.

unless you're getting used one at a great price, you're much better off getting a Four Rivers layout boat that I bet money on is much more stable for the same money.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:55 pm

The_Real_TCIII, you are welcome. The kayak line you bought will work fine, but carry to much weight and you can get a wet butt, maybe not with waders, but just so you know. A seat pad will raise you up and change that. Lots of new guys getting into the kayak fishing world are coming in with the Perception kayaks and they are happy with their kayaks. You should like yours.

Frank, I have not heard any talk about KC Kayaks, so I don't know anything about quality, service, ect. It looks to have the pontoon type hull as my Commander does, so it will track well. My commander tracks so well, I can be a 45 degrees to the wind fishing and the wind will push me at the 45 degree line, not in the wind direction. The seat looks useful, but uncomfortable, but I have not touched it or heard about it. It look pretty stable from the reviews of this pro-staffer
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/8504634/KC_Kayaks_K_12_Review
But I am seeing MSRP of $1300 and a dealer selling it close to that. It seems like a good boat, but not the best deal. I can't offer anymore than that.

I just ordered a 2013 Ride 135 from Austin Kayak last night as they had them on close out, with free shipping. I plan on making a blind this summer and a covered area on the tankwell for the pup in there behind me. I got the kayak out the door in Camo, with a high seat for $850 to my door. :tongue: This will be my rough water and taking the dog hunting kayak. Plus fishing for stripers and Reds on the Chesapeake.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frank » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:09 pm

I have looked into four rivers MIGRATOR 11' a nice boat but at 95lb. to heavy for I want.
I sat in a pelican kayak today just to get a feel the cockpit size which I think was 23" wide I may be wrong on that but with my winter coat on it was kinda a tight squeeze.

Thank Cupped-n-Committed for the Kc12 review. I can get one for under $1000.00 plus taxes. free shipping. but not pulling the trigger yet. need more info on them still since I am new to kayaking.
thanks
frank
frank
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds