Kayak

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Kayak

Postby bdub20 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:13 pm

I really wanted the jackson 10 orion but didnt have the money for it at the time. I think it would have been great for fishing and hunting and stable. But I went with the a10 ascend from bass pro. Has a lot of room to store stuff and is pretty stable, but most important to the original post, it's cheap. Any of the ascends at bass pro are great for price especially if you want a new kayak. But check craigslist because some have great deals for better quality, just means they are used.
bdub20
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm

bdub20 wrote:I really wanted the jackson 10 orion but didnt have the money for it at the time. I think it would have been great for fishing and hunting and stable. But I went with the a10 ascend from bass pro. Has a lot of room to store stuff and is pretty stable, but most important to the original post, it's cheap. Any of the ascends at bass pro are great for price especially if you want a new kayak. But check craigslist because some have great deals for better quality, just means they are used.

They get great reviews

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby Dalton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:24 am

To all the nay sayers: Kayaks were probably the first hunting boats that were ever made and are still as effective today as they were 4000 years ago. They are safe in cold water as long as you have the proper gear and are comfortable and familiar with you and your kayaks capabilities. Afterall they originated in the Arctic and were used by the Eskimo/Inuit to fish and hunt everything from birds to walrus. All I have is a generic 10' recreation kayak that you can probably get new for less than $300. Its my favorite way to hunt. A friend of mine has a 12' Ascend and its a Cadillac, just real heavy at 80+lbs. I'm sure the 10' is sweet too and lighter

As for gear, there are two schools of thought: 1) you should wear a wetsuit or drysuit and dress to swim, but I don't like to get wet or 2) wear breathable chest waders and a rain jacket and good waterproof gloves (Glacier Glove Ice Bay is my new favorite) and never get wet, but carry a dry bag with a change of clothes, space blanket, a lighter and good fire starters just in case. I take the dry bag with me every time and luckily have never had to use it. The biggest challenge is finding space for everything and to take only what you need. Heavy items (ammo, guns) need to be stowed as low and centered as evenly as possible. Uneven weight distribution can turn a stable kayak into a very tippy one. A decoy bag with backpack straps is the easiest to deal with. Deck rigging is great got the dry bag, lunch cooler, and boat camo. Everyone hunts different and in different places that need different things. It takes some trial and error to figure out what you really need and how to be efficient with it.

As for shooting from the boat... Well, big guns and little boats in cold water make me giddy!! I shoot a 3 1/2" mossberg pump from my boat all the time. Since I'm a righty, I can't shoot very far to the right side of the boat so I try to keep the boat angled so that most of my shots will be over the left side of the boat.

Bottom line, kayaks work. You can do it, but you need to be comfortable in you boat and stay within you and your boats limitations. Make sure to learn those limitations BEFORE duck season and in the warmer months so that your mistakes aren't possibly fatal. Sadly duck hunters are killed every year while in any kind of boat because of weather, accidents and misjudgements. Whatever kind of boat you hunt from, kayak, canoe, jon boat, duck boat, its only as safe as YOU are. What we do is dangerous. The only rule is to never, never, NEVER get wet.

Dalton
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:55 am

Is that just regular plain plastic as a snow cover?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:55 am

I had a cousin, Nanook, in the North West Territories just outside Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic. He used two helicopter blades from a wrecked chopper to make a Kayak out of, just bolted them together and cut a couple holes for cockpits. This Kayak was the talk of the north country because no ice would form on it and it would slide very easily through the ice and water, as a consequence Nanook's reputation as a hunter grew throughout the north country because he could go further, easier and get into prime seal hunting territory a lot faster than any of the other hunters. As usual when you get cold you take a hollowed out rock and put some seal oil in it and burn it so the inside of the kayak is nice and warm. Nanook figured if the helicopter prop was impervious to everything it seemed then he didn't need a rock as he could just use one of the spaces between the spars on the onside of the chopper blade to hold some seal oil for his fire. What Nanook didn't know was that the blades weren't fire proof so it burned a hole in the kayak and it sunk and Nanook drowned. So, the moral of the story is: You can't have your Kayak and h-eat it too!
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:00 am

^^
Sorry to hear about your cousin...
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby Dalton » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:56 pm

Yes that snow camo was clear plastic drop cloth from the paint section of your local hardware store.
Dalton
Newb

Postby swampyankee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:09 pm

i use and old town predator k140 kayak and a old town predator c133 canoe and love them both. I have few buddies that have the same kayaks and love them as well.
swampyankee
hunter

Postby macmn3 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:43 pm

swampyankee wrote:i use and old town predator k140 kayak and a old town predator c133 canoe and love them both. I have few buddies that have the same kayaks and love them as well.

I also have an old town canoe and was hoping to be able to stay with them. But they dont seem to make the predator any more (at least I couldnt find it on their website.) Is it a sit on top or a sit in? Which current model is it most like?
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 pm

The_Real_TCIII wrote:
Cupped-n-Committed wrote:The nucanoe is not as fast as most other kayaks due to its width. That being said, its still much faster than most any other marsh boat and tracks better than them also. I considered one, but want to use it for fishing on the bay also, so that ruled out the Nucanoe for me. but it is a stable kayak.

The FS12 kayaks are not bad kayaks, but BPS has cheapened them out some. I looked at some and they made the plastic on them so thin they filled the inside for the kayak, under the seat, with spray foam. I do not recommend getting one. Yes it will work, but its not going to hand the abuse other kayaks will. If someone wants a cheaper kayak, I would recommend the Prescador line which are the old molds for the Tarpon Kayaks before they put the attachment tracks on them. Perception kayaks are owned by the same company as Wilderness Systems and just sells kayaks cheaper made in the old Wilderness molds. Academy sells them for $499 new and they can be found in Sand and camo colors.

I've been lurking and reading up on kayaks for a few weeks and based on your suggestion I looked in to Perception. The reviews are outstanding and $499 is a great price, even with shipping from Academy. I ordered one today. Thank you for the heads up

It has arrived! I'll be sitting in it in my basement drinking beer if anyone needs me. Can't wait for spring

The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 am

What, no picture?

Breathable waders are your friend in a kayak. They push all the air out if you fall in and always keep your PDF on!!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:42 pm

There she sits for a few months...Image

The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:42 am

The_Real_TCIII wrote:There she sits for a few months...

Take her fishing and get use to its handling. :smile:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 am

I plan to fish a ton with it we've got some great little 100 acre lakes and the Erie Canal

The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby woodysniper » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:25 pm

I really enjoy hunting from a kayak. Certain models can be unstable but there are a lot of good ones out there. The only bad part is you can't carry lots of gear. I run a Old Town Vapor 12xt most of the time and it is very difficult to tip. I have shot 3.5 mags and also a 10 gauge from it with no problems. Kayaks are great if you wanna have a quick hunt.
Remember to spay and nueter your democrats.
woodysniper
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:31 pm

macmn3 wrote:
swampyankee wrote:i use and old town predator k140 kayak and a old town predator c133 canoe and love them both. I have few buddies that have the same kayaks and love them as well.

I also have an old town canoe and was hoping to be able to stay with them. But they dont seem to make the predator any more (at least I couldnt find it on their website.) Is it a sit on top or a sit in? Which current model is it most like?

Check out the Old Town Twin Heron Angler.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Image[/quote]

You gave up the visqueen trick.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby handyandy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Wish I had my nucanoe I got only about a month ago for the whole season. Some of my best hunting was at the end of this season drifting a down a small river in it with a buddy just sneaking up on birds on the river and shooting. Was great didn't have to get up early for it as the river is only ten minutes from my house, didn't have to walk far just put the nucaoe in under a bridge and pulled out at another. Didn't have to drag decoys in, didn't have to call wish I had starting doing it sooner plus each time we went got 4-6 birds between two of us floating a stretch that takes about four hours to float. We weren't coming close to limits but in indiana 4-6 birds consistently each time is pretty good. I will have to try the plastic trick as a blind for more open water areas with I like that. Thats some good redneck engineering.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 am

Can someone recommend a good life jacket, for fishing and hunting?

The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:08 pm

The_Real_TCIII wrote:Can someone recommend a good life jacket, for fishing and hunting?

Just about any will work, but they do make kayak specific PFD'S. The ascend brand pfds are decent.

If any of y'all get the chance, check out Feel Free's yaks. Their new Lure 11.5' and 10' are some solid boats. Padded decks, seats that dang near feel like lazy boy, and are a quick boat for their width. I demoed one at our kayak jackpot here in tulsa, woo buddy they are a dream. Plus the 11.5' is rudder ready, which is great for rivers or the windy days on the bigger water.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:16 am

Checkout some of the high back PFD made for kayaks. It makes a works of different not having PFD between you and the seat back!

Cabela's mesh series works OK as you can shoot with them on. Many of the kayak ones have straps on the shoulders for mobility and you can still shoulder a gun while wearing one. In the winter I wear my PFD under my jacket as it adds warmth. In rougher water its base layers, then a dry top, PFD and jacket. IN the worst case, if I took a swim nothing but the jacket and my hair would be wet. :smile:

MTI, Stern, Stohlquist, NRS, BAss Pro, Extrasport will all work. See the straps and how you could shoulder a gun while wearing one.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ffmcfaull » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Not to totally hi-jack this thread. But I am also searching for a pair of kayaks. I'll be hunting multiple situations. The one I'm most concerned about is a big river that I normal hunt out of my drift boat. Looking for a kayak for the river so I don't have to make an all day hunt out of it. What would you guys recommend for a stable river kayak. I will have a dog on it.
The river I hunt flows as low as 3,500 cfs up to 20,000 cfs on normal flows.
Thanks in advance
Watching one sunrise at a time
ffmcfaull
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Under Stable, the Ride 135 or 115 is stable and could handle a dog. The New Canoe frontier, or other Sit on Top kayak are probably going to be your best option. I love my Commander, but I am not taking it in rough water as swamp it and your sinking. not familiar with your river, but the really stable kayaks are not the fastest kayaks. If you're fighting river flow and have to paddle upstream, thiner kayaks like the tarpon 120, Ocean kayaks travel faster up stream, but are not as stable and i would not put a dog in one. Depending on that flow you might still only have a one way trip. We use carts and port in and out in some area and float between launches.

Make sure you dress for it too. Being in the rough water there is always a chance you can roll or fall off. Waist waders and a dry top could save your life!

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:Checkout some of the high back PFD made for kayaks. It makes a works of different not having PFD between you and the seat back!

Cabela's mesh series works OK as you can shoot with them on. Many of the kayak ones have straps on the shoulders for mobility and you can still shoulder a gun while wearing one. In the winter I wear my PFD under my jacket as it adds warmth. In rougher water its base layers, then a dry top, PFD and jacket. IN the worst case, if I took a swim nothing but the jacket and my hair would be wet. :smile:

MTI, Stern, Stohlquist, NRS, BAss Pro, Extrasport will all work. See the straps and how you could shoulder a gun while wearing one.

I'll check these out, thank you

The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby ffmcfaull » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks cupped. Yeah, I'm still trying to find a good way to simply cross the river to hit a decoying spot and then cross back to get to the truck. Seen people do it in a Wally World raft. They are nuts
Watching one sunrise at a time
ffmcfaull
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds